These gluten-free and dairy-free chocolate chip cookies are soft and chewy with melted chocolate in every bite! This simple recipe will become a staple treat; you can bake for parties, bake-sales, or whenever you need a chocolate fix.
This cookie recipe is easy to make with simple ingredients that produce delicious cookies we all know and love. Along with the recipe, I’m sharing tips on how to bake cookies with gluten-free flour and butter alternatives.
Why this is the Best Gluten & Dairy-Free Chocolate Chip Cookie
Everyone loves a good chocolate chip cookie straight out of the oven. The buttery cookie with bits of melted chocolate is irresistible, and this recipe gives you those same results minus the gluten and dairy.
Baking for food allergies can feel daunting at first. I know it was for me when my family went gluten-free, and one of my kids developed a dairy intolerance.
It’s how I developed this recipe, along with many other allergy-friendly versions of our favorite foods. I’ve learned a lot about gluten-free baking through trial and error, and today, I want to share those same tips with you in the form of this cookie recipe.
Gluten & Dairy-Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Ingredients
Cookies get their soft, chewy texture from all-purpose flour and butter. Today we are duplicating that same texture and flavor with gluten and dairy-free ingredients. Let’s take a look at what you’ll need:
- 1:1 Gluten-free flour- choose one with xantham gum
- Baking soda
- Vegan butter- Earth Balance and Miyokos are great
- Brown sugar
- White sugar
- 2 eggs
- Vanilla extract
- Dairy-free chocolate chips- Lily’s, Enjoy Life, and Nestle Toll House Simply Delicious.
Gluten-Free Flour Options
I’ve baked with several 1:1 gluten-free flour mixes, and they are not all the same! If you have done your share of gluten-free baking, you know exactly what I mean.
My favorite 1:1 gluten-free flours for cookies have been:
- Cup 4 Cup Gluten-Free Flour Mix
- King Arthur’s Gluten-Free Mix
- Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 Gluten-Free Flour– (yields a slightly grainy texture in cookies)
If you prefer to make your gluten-free flour blend, here’s an excellent recipe for a homemade gluten-free flour that I’ve used for these cookies, and they came out great:
- 2 cups of rice flour
- 2/3 cup potato starch
- 1/3 cup tapioca starch
- 1 teaspoon xantham gum
Once you’ve blended the mixture, use the appropriate amount for the cookies and refrigerate the remaining in an air-tight container.
It’s essential when making gluten & dairy-free chocolate chip cookies that you measure flour with the “scoop and swoop” method as shown in the video below. This will help prevent your cookies from being too dense.
How to Make Egg-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
Whether you are out of eggs or want to make this recipe vegan approved, you can swap the 1 egg for:
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup mashed banana
- 1 flax egg
To prepare the flax egg, combine 1 tablespoon flax seeds with 3 tablespoons water. Stir to combine and let rest until the mixture thickens and becomes “gloopy”.
More Gluten, Dairy-Free Cookies
I think we’ve got a good thing going with these gluten and dairy-free cookies, so let’s not stop! Here are more easy allergy-friendly cookie recipes you’ll want to make on repeat.
- Grab the Gold Bars
- Easy Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies
- Paleo Breakfast Cookies
- Blueberry Oatmeal Cookies
- Pumpkin Cookies
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
These chewy, homemade chocolate chip cookies are made dairy-free and gluten-free, so everyone can enjoy a treat or two!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 9-11 minutes
- Total Time: 24-26 minutes
- Yield: 5 dozen or 48 cookies 1x
- Category: Cookies
- Cuisine: Baking
- 2 1/2 cups 1:1 gluten-free flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks vegan butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12-ounce bag dairy-free chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir to combine.
- In a separate large bowl, cream the vegan butter with the granulated sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla extract using a hand mixer or stand mixer. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Working in 3 batches, add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, combine after each addition.
- Once the dough is formed, fold in the chocolate chips, making sure they are evenly distributed throughout the dough.
- Drop using a rounded tablespoon onto lined baking sheets.
- Bake for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove and place on wire racks to cool completely.
- Serving Size: 1 cookies
- Calories: 130
- Sugar: 9.1g
- Sodium: 42.5mg
- Fat: 6.7g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 16.5g
- Fiber: 0.8g
- Protein: 1.2g
- Cholesterol: 18.3mg
More Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Recipes
Eggless French Toast
Out of eggs? No problem. With this egg-less French toast recipe, breakfast is served, and it works with frozen bread slices!
Gluten-Free Cinnamon Rolls
No rise gluten-free cinnamon rolls that can be made and enjoyed while you sip on that first cup of coffee. Grab the recipe for these beauties here.
Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free Waffles
It’s time to pull out the waffle iron because today’s recipe for dairy and gluten-free, vegan waffles are super easy to whip up!