Does your family love pizza, but because of food allergies it has been “off limits”? This is one recipe you do not want to miss!
A delicious treat that is gluten-, egg-, dairy-, and nut-free. Simple steps and ingredients.
MOM Tip: Want to up the nutrition? Blend 1 cup of spinach with the sauce used for the filling. This is a great way to pack these pies full of vitamin A and antioxidants. Your kids will never know!
Why not double the batch, and freeze uncooked pies for later? Go ahead, your kids will thank you.
Allergy-Friendly Lunch Box Pizza Pies
Yields: 10 Pizza Pies
- Cuisine: Lunch
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flax + 3 tablespoons hot water, mix and let stand for 10 minutes) or 1 regular egg if your child doesn’t have egg allergies
- 2 cups gluten-free flour mix (with xanthan gum in it) + 1/4 cup, as needed
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups dairy-free mozzarella-style shreds, divided, or regular shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup pizza or marinara sauce
- Optional: Pepperoni or sausage crumbles for filling
- Prepare the flax egg and set aside for at least 10 minutes until it has a gel-like consistency.
- In a large bowl, with your mixer on low-medium, mix the flour, water, Italian seasoning, salt, and 1/4 cup of the mozzarella-style shreds until a dough begins to form. Slowly add the egg, and continue mixing for another 2 to 3 minutes until the dough becomes crumbly.
- On a floured surface, knead the dough. Add flour, 1 tablespoon at a time so it doesn’t stick to the surface or your hands. Roll out until about 1/4-inch thick.
- Using a round 2-inch cutter, begin cutting circle for tops and bottoms of “pies.” Once you’ve cut all you can fit, reform the dough and roll out again. Repeat until it’s all used. You should have about 20 circles.
- Preheat the oven to 325F. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Place half of the dough circles on the baking sheet. Put about 1 teaspoon of sauce in the center of each, then top with the remaining mozzarella cheese. Add other toppings, if using.
- Place the remaining dough circles over the top, and pinch the sides lightly with a fork to seal.
- Bake for about 1 hour, until lightly browned.
- Yields: 10 Pizza Pies