Need a gluten-free sugar cookie recipe that can be cut out to make your favorite holiday or special occasion cookie? Look no further than this recipe.
Sadly, not everyone can always enjoy the fresh, baked goodies easily available at the grocery or the recipes on Pinterest due to gluten intolerance.
And when it comes to parties or bake sales, it’s not always easy to find options if you are gluten-free. However, this recipe comes to the rescue!
How to Make Gluten-Free Sugar Cookies
This is the type of sugar cookie dough that holds well if you want to cut it out with cookie cutters. It also bakes well and doesn’t fall apart -as it often happens with gluten-free recipes, plus it tastes amazing!
Oh, did I mention that they have that classic sugar cookie texture that we all love! Crisp and solid on the outside, soft and chewy on the inside! These are definitely a winner!
Best Gluten-Free Flour for Cookies
Not all gluten-free flours are the same. My favorite is this all-purpose gluten-free flour. I’ve used it with this recipe many times and it always yields great cookies.
Gluten-free flour absorbs less moisture compared to regular flour. As with any gluten-free recipe, using the same amount of flour provided in the recipe is recommended, and substitutions are highly discouraged.
I’ve made this recipe over and over with my family and have gotten the measurements down to a science for the perfect soft on the inside, crisp on the outside sugar cookie!
This recipe is just an example that a gluten-free diet doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice taste. Many of our MOMables families that are
gluten-free enjoy our Classic Meal Plans and substitute some of the traditional glutenous items with a gluten-free alternative.
Gluten-Free Sugar Cookies are perfect for any celebration year round and of course, make amazing Christmas cookies! Bake a batch, and you’ll see that they are the perfect soft, chewy cookies anyone can enjoy and frost. And don’t forget to enjoy them with a nice mug of homemade hot cocoa!
Gluten-Free Sugar Cookies
This easy recipe for gluten-free sugar cookies is great to use year round for all your holiday cookies.
- Prep Time: 1 hour + 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 -12 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour + 27 minutes
- Yield: 20–24 cookies 1x
- Cuisine: Baking
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water or milk
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum (omit if your all-purpose flour has it)
- 2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling/dusting
- In a large bowl, cream the sugar and butter at medium speed.
- Add the egg, water, vanilla, salt, and cinnamon (if using). Blend until mixed well.
- Add the xanthan gum (if using) and flour. Mix at a low speed until well combined.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Roll out the dough onto a lightly floured surface, about ¼-inch thick.
- Cut out the dough with selected cookie cutters, and place the cookies on the baking sheet. Make sure the cookies are not touching.
- Reform and roll out the scrap dough, then continue cutting more cookies.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from the oven, and let the cookies cool for 5 minutes on the cookie sheet before removing them to a cooling rack. Cool completely before decorating.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- Not all gluten-free flours are the same. I’ve listed the all-purpose flours that I’ve used with this recipe and yielded great cookies.
- Refrigeration is a must, otherwise, your dough will be too sticky to roll, and the cookies will spread. If you roll out your dough, and it’s too sticky to pick up, put it back in the fridge before cutting.
- Gluten-free flour absorbs less moisture compared to regular flour. As with any gluten-free recipe, using the same amount of flour provided in the recipe is recommended, and substitutions are highly discouraged.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 136
- Sugar: 10g
- Sodium: 33.4mg
- Fat: 4.8g
- Saturated Fat: 2.9g
- Carbohydrates: 22.1g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Protein: 1.2g
- Cholesterol: 21.5mg
More Gluten-Free Recipe Ideas
Gluten-Free Cinnamon Rolls – No rise gluten-free cinnamon rolls that can be made and enjoyed while you sip on that first cup of coffee.
Gluten-Free Pancakes – Forget the expensive pancake mixes. You already have everything you need to make these incredibly fluffy gluten-free pancakes.
Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies – These gluten-free chocolate chip cookies are the real deal. Whether you like them chewy or crunchy, this gluten-free recipe never disappoints!