Need a healthier lunch that is simple to make? This will do just the trick!
Sometimes you just want a simple, light, refreshing meal. Goat Cheese and Veggie Bistro Box, yum! A certain well-known coffee chain used to offer a veggie and cheese box that fit the bill, and made for a nice snack or small meal. But who wants to pay $5+ for lunch every day, when you can make it yourself?
Don’t forget, MOMables has all the ideas you could ever possibly need to help fill these bistro boxes—check them out!
By making your own lunches, you can control the ingredients and portion size. Organic, local, more of something, less of something, gluten-free, etc. DIY delicious!Print
DIY Goat Cheese and Garden Veggies Bistro Box
- 4–6 multigrain crackers
- 2–3 carrot sticks
- 2–3 bell pepper strips
- 3–4 cherry tomatoes
- 3–4 green beans
- 2–3 cucumber wedges (roughly ¼ of a small cucumber)
- 1–2 ounces soft goat cheese
- ¼ c tzatziki sauce (see recipe below)
- Take as many as you’d like for each ingredient and poof! Goat Cheese and Garden Veggie Bistro Box!
Recipe for Homemade Tzatziki Sauce:Print
Homemade Tzatziki Sauce
- Yield: 6
- Cuisine: Greek
- 1 cup plain Greek whole milk yogurt*
- 1 English cucumber, seeded, finely grated, and drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- Whisk everything but the salt and pepper together. Then season with the salt and pepper, to taste. Chill.
*You can use low-fat or nonfat Greek yogurt, or even non-dairy Greek-style yogurt, but you may want to add less lemon juice.
The Greek yogurt and goat cheese pack a nice wallop of protein, so you’re good there. But unless you have a small appetite or are including this along with something more substantial, it’s really more of a snack. So make it a meal by adding more crackers and veggies and tzatziki sauce, and go ahead and include some fresh fruit while you’re at it!
*To amp up the colors represented in my lunch, I chose slices of purple bell pepper, yellow and green beans, and yellow and red heirloom cherry tomatoes. The crackers shown are Glutino Gluten-Free Rosemary & Olive Oil crackers. And no, I didn’t just buy some pre-made tzatziki sauce for the photos. I made it. From scratch!
Leave a Reply