Get access to a FREE week of menus
It never fails that just when I think I’m completely organized and have everything in hand for the holidays….I forget just one thing.
It might be a special treat for a school program, neighborhood party or that some mischievous children got into my holiday goodies and ate one too many. Sound familiar?
I make this toffee recipe at least three times (often more) in the month of December. It is a FAVORITE at our house, and I often have to hide it away just to keep it from being devoured.
The recipe is very simple and includes ingredients you probably already have in your pantry. Perfect for those times when you need a tray of goodies in a pinch. If nuts are an issue for you family, just leave them off, it will taste just as delicious!
Graham Cracker Toffee
- Cuisine: Treats
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 box of graham crackers
- 1 bag milk chocolate or semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place a single layer of graham crackers in baking sheet, edge to edge. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan combine the butter, brown sugar and pecans.
- Bring to a boil, over medium high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Allow it to continue to boil for 3 minutes (I’ll often set a timer so I don’t go too long or short). Evenly pour the hot mixture over the graham crackers.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Allow to sit for a few minutes so chocolate chips can begin to melt.
- Using a spatula or frosting knife, spread melted chocolate chips evenly over graham crackers. When completely cooled break into pieces.
- Refrigerate in an airtight container.
Was wondering what non dairy substitute I could use for the butter?
Xealia-you can use coconut oil or Earth’s balance.
Made this and it was a big hit with the kids. It was a little too sweet for my husband and I. Next time I think I will omit the pecans and top it with crushed pretzels instead–love salty and sweet together.
I love these with crushed pretzels too!!