Do your kids keep asking for those yogurt drinks at the store but find yourself saying “no” because dairy isn’t something they can have? I’ve got you covered with these Dairy-Free Homemade Yogurt Drinks! Watch how easy they are to make.
Thanks to coconut milk, we can reconstruct the delicious texture and creaminess of yogurt drinks without the help of dairy! Coconut milk has a very creamy texture and pleasant taste that makes up for the lack of tanginess from yogurt.
Dairy-Free Yogurt Drinks Ingredients
Here’s what you’ll need to make this drinkable yogurt happen:
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk, chilled
- 2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey (optional)
- 1 cup chopped fruit
I encourage using any of your favorite fruits; some of our top choices are strawberries, blueberries, mango, and kiwi! Almond milk can be replaced with your favorite non-dairy milk of choice.
How to Make Yogurt Drinks Dairy-Free
Coconut milk in the can tends to separate over time; for this recipe, we want it to be cohesive and thick. To make this happen, blend the coconut milk liquid and solids until smooth. Pour it into an airtight container and refrigerate overnight.
Place all ingredients in a blender and blend on medium-low until everything is smooth and evenly combined.
Pour yogurt drinks in 4-ounce drink containers and refrigerate for 1 hour prior to serving.
Kids love them because it’s “yogurt” they can sip through a straw, and I love them because they’re paleo-friendly, low in added sugar, and easy whip up in a blender.
Packing Yogurt Drinks in the Lunchbox
We’ve packed smoothies for lunch, but can you do the same with yogurt drinks? Yes!
Place a thermos container in the freezer and chill for 2 hours to overnight. Before packing the smoothie into a lunch bag, pour the yogurt drink into the thermos. Pack into the lunch bag along with a freezer pack.
Other Dairy-Free Recipes Kids Love
Want to recreate more popular recipes into healthier, dairy-free versions? Check out the recipes below:
Dairy Free Homemade Yogurt Drinks
This dairy-free yogurt recipe uses coconut milk, honey, and fruit to make a delicious, creamy beverage everyone can enjoy.
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) canned coconut milk, chilled
- 2 cups (475 ml) unsweetened vanilla almond milk*
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) maple syrup or honey (optional)
- 1 cup (145 g) chopped fruit
- Prior to opening the coconut milk can, shake well. Open the can, blend in a blender if there is separation and pour back into the can or a glass. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight. You need the coconut milk to thicken. Tip: use frozen fruit if you want to skip refrigeration of coconut milk.
- When ready to make the drinks, place all ingredients in a blender and blend on medium-low until everything is smooth and evenly combined.
- Pour yogurt drinks in 4-ounce (120 ml) drink containers and refrigerate for 1 hour prior to serving.
You can use any dairy milk alternative. I typically use unsweetened vanilla almond milk. Sweetened milks will add additional sugar to the recipe.
The maple syrup or honey is completely optional and the need to use it will depend on taste, almond milk used, and what type of fruit you select for the recipe. Some fruits are naturally sweeter. You can skip refrigeration by using frozen fruit.