Do you want to make your own fresh, hard taco shells? Here is an easy tutorial that will show you how!
Did you know you can turn regular soft corn tortillas into a crunchy taco shell? All you need are corn tortillas- that’s it!
Taco night has to be one of my daughter’s favorites! If you ask what her favorite food is, she would have a close toss-up between sunflower seed spread, pizza, and tacos, especially crunchy tacos!
If you are a homemade taco fan, you know that warmed tortillas are the way to go when making soft tacos. But what about crunchy tacos? You can totally make your own and I’m going to show you how today.
Homemade Taco Shells
The process to make homemade taco shells is simple and yields delicious, crunchy results perfect for filling with all your favorite taco ingredients or using to make recipes like these easy baked tacos.
Now that I make our own taco seasoning, our tacos have got a little healthier too—free of salt, MSG, preservatives, and anti-caking agents. So, why not make our own crunchy taco shells too?! They don’t include a lot of additives that come with store-bought taco shells and taste just as good.
I first attempted to make our own crunchy taco shells since my daughter eats gluten-free. I often worry about cross-contamination and the quality of the shells we would buy. It can get expensive over time buying the ones she loves so much, whereas a package of gluten-free corn tortillas is reasonably inexpensive.
To give you a better close up, I made a video on how to make these easy baked taco shells:
It’s simple and delicious recipes and tips like this one that helps parents pull off mealtimes without a glitch. You’ll find more of them inside the MOMables Classic Meal Plan. Download a sample meal plan here.
Taco Shell Recipe
The shells that you can stuff and stand on their own are my family’s favorite. We can load them up and not have to worry about them tipping over or spilling out as we make our way to the dining table.
Here’s how to make crunchy taco shells that can stand up at home:
- Preheat the oven to 375F place one oven rack in the middle position, making sure there is at least 4” of room between that oven rack and the next one. I suggest you move the bottom rack all the way to the bottom of the oven.
- Place 4 corn tortillas in your microwave for 15 to 20 seconds to warm them up and make them pliable. Transfer them onto a baking sheet and repeat the process with the remaining corn tortillas.
- Spray both sides of all corn tortillas with cooking spray.
- Pull the oven rack out, if possible, and using tongs, drape each tortilla over two bars of your oven rack.
- Bake, for 8 to 10 minutes until the tortillas are golden and crispy. Carefully remove them from the oven onto a baking sheet.
If taco night is a thing at your house, or you’d like for it to be, I have an entire book of 52 taco recipes that your family will love! Everything from breakfast tacos to steak and fish, it’s all there, and these homemade crunchy tortillas fit right in!
The Taco Tuesday Cookbook
These recipes will make every taco night the most exciting meal of your week! Eat great tacos, at home.
Grab your copy today!