September 25, 2013
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Below, you’ll learn how to pack a healthy meal with leftover chicken and keep it fresh until lunchtime.
Easy Bistro Box Idea
While I’ve got to applaud a certain well-known coffee house chain for coming out with healthier boxed lunches (or bistro boxes), I can’t exactly cheer for that hefty price tag on a box that is essentially the size of a snack. I get it, we’re paying for convenience, but still! I’d much rather plan ahead and make bistro boxes at home.
It’s so easy to prep these ahead on a Sunday and have a variety of bistro boxes ready for snacks or lunches throughout the week. If you need more inspiration coming up with healthy lunches for you and the kids throughout the week, try MOMables meal plans. I’ll send you new lunches every week, with meal prep tips & everything you need to make packing lunches a breeze! Try it for free here.
How easy is it to pull together this bistro box and others? Just watch!
For this Chicken and Hummus Bistro Box you’ll notice the naan or pita bread included. In the boxed version, you get one small naan bread “pita” cut in half. Which confuses me. Is it for dipping in the hummus? Is it for making tiny chicken wraps? Or how are you supposed to eat the chicken? So I included a mini pocket pita in mine, to open up the options. Dip or stuff. Your call, it’s delicious either way.
If you want to mix it up a bit with the flavors, try this recipe for Homemade Greek Hummus. The bold flavor of the freshly made hummus takes this bistro box to the next level.
For a gluten-free option, simply swap the pita bread for these easy gluten-free wraps.
Make It a Meal!
Double or triple the pitas and chicken, add in a few more veggies (maybe even some different ones, like sticks of carrot, kohlrabi, or beet!) and a little more hummus. Go ahead and include some fruit as well, for a sweet treat.
Simple tip: The pitas will last longer in the fridge, in case you can’t use them all right away. If they feel a little stiff, you can microwave them for 30 seconds with a mug of water or moist paper towel to soften.
Do you have a favorite make-ahead bistro box combination? Let me know in the comments!
Chicken and Hummus Bistro Box
- 3 ounces cooked chicken breast sliced
- 2 tablespoons hummus your favorite
- 1 pita sliced in wedges
- ½ cup cucumber slices
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon feta cheese cumbles optional
- Slice the cooked chicken breast and place them insde the main compartment of the lunch container.
- Place the cucumber slices and the cherry tomatoes in another ompartment or with the sliced chicken.
- Store the pita wedges in another compartment to keep them fresh until lunch time.
- Fill a small lidded container with hummus or add a single-serve hummus to the lunch.
- If you enjoy crumbled feta, pack it in a small lidded container, sprinkled over the hummus, or in another compartment.
- Refrigerate this lunch until placed inside an insulated lunch bag and is sent to school. Ice packs are optional.
Leave a Reply