These two jumbo muffin recipes make an EPIC breakfast option everyone will love. The sausage breakfast muffin and the lemon poppy seed zucchini muffin are both easy to whip up and gluten-free.
Can’t decide which one to make? Check out this fun video to decide.
Both recipes are made with oat flour instead of regular baking flour and yogurt instead of oil so they yield incredibly moist, hearty, and satisfying muffins.
How to Make Jumbo Muffins
You might be thinking these jumbo muffins are a bit over the top, but these muffins are so good- you can’t stop at one unless it’s a jumbo muffin!
The only difference in the recipe is the need for a jumbo muffin tin. Since the muffins are larger the baking time will be longer but they still turn out perfectly moist and delicious. Don’t have a jumbo muffin tin? You can still make these in a 12-count muffin pan, just adjust the baking time to 15 – 18 minutes.
These are a great meal prep recipe you can make ahead and enjoy throughout the week.
The Cheddar Apple Sausage Muffin is loaded with sautéed sausage, chopped apple, and sharp Cheddar cheese. Since it’s our “savory” muffin, this recipe has no added sugar or sweetener!
I know we are calling it a breakfast muffin but it could totally be enjoyed for lunch or dinner served with a side salad.
Wish you could have delicious lunch ideas like these in your inbox weekly? And not just a recipe, but a done-for-you weekly plan with a completed shopping list and meal-prep sheet!
You’re reading this right. Such a weekly plan exists and you can grab a sample of the MOMables Classic Meal Plan here.
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffin with Zucchini
The Lemon Poppy Seed Zucchini Muffin is a pretty sweet way to get in a few extra veggies.
If you’ve never used zucchini in a baking recipe before, don’t worry. Zucchini has a mild flavor and adds moisture to any baked goods, like the Carrot & Zucchini Bars. It works great in this recipe and doesn’t take away from the lemon flavor at all.
Speaking of, don’t skimp on the lemon zest because they make these jumbo muffins smell and taste, incredible! It’s almost like eating dessert for breakfast. Of course, if you want to make these even lighter you can substitute the sugar with the sweetener of your choice, honey, agave, maple, and even stevia.
Don’t have time to whip these up from scratch in the morning? Bake them ahead of time and freeze the muffins for future breakfasts and treats.
Still can’t decide which muffin to make first? Why not try them both?!
Lemon Poppyseed Zucchini Jumbo Muffins
- 3 cups oat flour
- ½ to ⅔ cup sugar or sweetener of choice, to taste
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ⅓ cups whole milk yogurt or low-fat yogurt
- ½ lemon juiced, optional
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 2 large eggs
- ⅓ cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup zucchini, grated
- Decorating sugar for topping, optional
- Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly grease a jumbo muffin tin with oil or cooking spray.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate, large bowl, whisk together the yogurt, coconut oil, lemon zest, and eggs.
- Add the dry ingredients to wet until just combined—don’t overmix!
- Stir in the grated zucchini last.
- Fill the muffin cups ¾th of the way and top with the decorating sugar, if using.
- Bake 5 mins at 400F, and then lower to 350F and bake 20-22 minutes. They are done when tops are golden and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before removing from the muffin tin.