This post explains how to choose a kids’ bento box for school that meets your lunch packing needs.
From stainless steel, built-in ice packs, affordable bento boxes, and even one with a built-in thermos, you’ll find the best one for your child.
What to Look for in a Bento Box
If you’re on a mission to shop for a cool bento box for your child, there are a few things to remember when browsing online. Here is what to look out for before you buy:
- Size: the size of the bento box will determine how much food you can pack inside.
- Number of compartments: choose a design that fits your child’s packing needs.
- Cost: purchase a bento that fits your budget and consider having a spare.
- Leak-proof: a good seal prevents messy leaks.
- Material: plastic, stainless, or a combination of both. This will also determine price and durability.
- Dishwasher safe: this makes cleanup easier; some are top-rack only, and other bentos are hand wash only.
- Design & colors: from colorful options and characters to neutral colors, there’s a bento for everyone.
- Durability: sturdy bentos should last through the school year and more! My stainless steel bentos have lasted nearly a decade!
- Lunch bag: larger bentos might need a bigger lunch bag, so keep both dimensions in mind!
Best Bento Boxes for Kids
One of these bento boxes is sure to be the right size for the amount of food you need to pack, has compartments to keep foods separate, and is durable enough to last through the school year or many years to come. Wondering what to pack? Learn more about school lunch Bento Box ingredients and combinations here.