Before you grab the frozen uncrustables from the freezer aisle, check out how to make your own at home! Made with your choice of ingredients, these are the much healthier and budget-friendly lunch option.
Watch how easy these homemade frozen uncrustables are to make in the video below:
Homemade uncrustables are great for school lunches, especially when your child attends a nut-free school by making it with a nut-free butter alternative. In fact, I share the top five peanut butter alternatives here so your kids can enjoy all their favorite sandwiches and snacks even at a nut-free school.
These sandwiches are always on my kid’s shopping list. I’ve heard ” MOM… can we get these, pleeeeeeaaaase?” too many times to count.
There are a lot of reasons I don’t grab the beloved uncrustables from the freezer isle, they’re expensive, they’re gone too quickly and the ingredients list isn’t as clean as I’d like to to be.
All those good reasons to skip it, but the kids still want them, so I decided to find a way to make them at home.
Homemade Uncrustables Ingredients
One of my favorite reasons for making them at home is that I can control the ingredient list. While we do still use my kid’s favorite jellies, I’m able to pack nut-free butter to make them allergy-friendly as needed or even use gluten-free bread.
Wondering which nut-free butters spread best? I was too, so I did a side-by-side test of my favorite peanut butter alternatives to find the best one!
Depending on where you live, they can be hard to find in stores, so I also included links to grab the best ones online.
How to Make Uncrustables
I’ll be showing you how to make these DIY Frozen Uncrustables with a sandwich sealer, or a large glass with a THICK edge.
- Start by placing your favorite peanut butter and jelly filling in the middle of one piece of bread. Make sure to leave some room on the outer edges, where the sandwich will seal.
- Place the second piece of bread on top, and use sandwich sealer or glass to seal sandwich, by pressing and holding firmly for 30 seconds.
- Make sure to remove crusts while the sandwich is still in the press or glass.
- Flash freeze sandwiches in the freezer for about 2 hours.
- After the 2 hours, you can now place sandwiches in individual sandwich bags or all in one big freezer bag for storage. Homemade Uncrustables can be frozen for up to a month.
When you are ready to use, simply pack in your child’s lunch box frozen, and it will thaw in time for lunch, or microwave for 15-20 seconds if you need to serve them immediately.
Easy enough right? That’s the way we like to do things around here and in our family meal plans. It’s THE #1 tool hundreds of families have used to become pros at packing lunches and preparing real-food meals.
With prep tips, completed shopping lists and awesome recipes, what’s not to love? Sounds like what you’ve been searching for? You’re in the right place, head over here for more details and a free sample week.
Now before we go, let’s not forget about all those extra crusts. Don’t even think about tossing them because they’re going to make these French Toast Sticks EPIC!
DIY Frozen Uncrustables
Do your kids ask for frozen uncrustables when you go to the grocery? This recipe is easy and delicious, plus you can make it with healthier ingredients!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 4 uncrustables 1x
- Category: Lunch
8 slices sandwich bread
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup jelly, your choice
- Spread the peanut butter onto 4 slices of bread, keeping the peanut butter in the center. Spread the jelly in the center of the remaining 4 slices and assemble the sandwiches.
- Using the cutter, press it into the center of each sandwich and remove the outer crust.
- Place onto a baking sheet and repeat with remaining sandwiches. Freeze for 2 hours or until frozen.
- Remove from freezer and pack each uncrustable into separate sandwich bags. Store in freezer for up to 2 months.
- Serving Size: 1 uncrustable
- Calories: 347
- Sugar: 15.2g
- Sodium: 343/5mg
- Fat: 17.4g
- Saturated Fat: 3.6g
- Carbohydrates: 39.4g
- Fiber: 5.7g
- Protein: 11.7g
- Cholesterol: 0mg