Before you grab the frozen uncrustables from the freezer aisle, why not make your own at home! Made with your choice of bread, nut butter, and jelly, these homemade uncrustables are a much healthier and budget-friendly lunch option.
These sandwiches are always on my kid’s shopping list. I’ve heard ” MOM… can we get these, pleeeeeeaaaase?” too many times to count.
There are a lot of reasons I don’t grab the beloved uncrustables from the freezer aisle, they’re expensive, gone too quickly, and making them at home is so easy and they taste just as good.
Homemade Uncrustables Ingredients
Everything you use to make PB & J’s you’ll need for these homemade uncrustables:
- Sandwich bread
- Peanut butter or nut-free option
- Jelly, of choice
Homemade uncrustables are great for school lunches, especially when your child attends a nut-free school because you can swap peanut butter for a nut butter alternative. In fact, I share the top five peanut butter alternatives here so your kids can enjoy all their favorite sandwiches and snacks at school or daycare.
Craving pizza? Try these homemade Pizza Uncrustables next!
If you’re on the lookout for more simple and delicious lunch ideas your kids will love, you can find 101 of them in my Packed Lunches eBook.
How to Make Uncrustables
I’ll be showing you how to make these DIY Frozen Uncrustables with a sandwich sealer, or a large glass with a THICK edge.
- Start by placing your favorite peanut butter and jelly filling in the middle of one piece of bread. Make sure to leave some room on the outer edges, where the sandwich will seal.
- Place the second piece of bread on top, and use a sandwich sealer or glass to seal the sandwich, by pressing and holding firmly for 30 seconds.
- Make sure to remove crusts while the sandwich is still in the press or glass.
- Flash freeze sandwiches in the freezer for about 2 hours.
- After the 2 hours, you can now place sandwiches in individual sandwich bags or all in one big freezer bag for storage. Homemade Uncrustables can be frozen for up to a month.
When you are ready to use, simply pack in your child’s lunch box frozen, and it will thaw in time for lunch, or microwave for 15-20 seconds if you need to serve them immediately.
Need a gluten-free version? See how to make DIY Gluten-Free Uncrustables here!
Easy enough right? You can also watch how to assemble this lunch in the video below:
Want to take them to the next level? You can also make uncrustables in the air fryer!
How to Freeze Homemade Uncrustables
Freezing homemade uncrustables is so easy! Place the sandwiches into individual zip bags, and store them in the freezer, making sure they’re in a place they won’t get squished.
You can freeze them for up to 1 month, but I guarantee your stash of frozen uncrustables will be gone long before then!
Now before we go, let’s not forget about all those extra crusts. Don’t even think about tossing them because they’re going to make these French Toast Sticks EPIC!Print