July 6, 2022
Have cheese and pepperoni in the fridge? Then you’ve got what it takes to make these pizza uncrustables for lunch today!
These are an epic savory twist on the classic PB & J uncrustable, and it’s quickly becoming a favorite. After one bite, you’ll quickly see why.
Homemade Pizza Uncrustables
Once you see how easy it is to make these cheesy pizza uncrustables, you’ll skip the store-bought option for this homemade recipe. You get much more bang for your buck, and they can be customized with each child’s favorite toppings.
Grilling the uncrustable is optional but highly recommended. While the cheese won’t be super gooey and melted at lunchtime, the toasted bread and pizza flavors are all there.
Pizza Uncrustable Ingredients
Here’s everything you need to make these pizza uncrustables for lunch:
- Sandwich bread: use whole wheat or white bread.
- Tomato sauce: jarred marinara or tomato basil taste great!
- Shredded cheese: Mozzarella, Provolone, or Italian cheese blends are perfect.
- Pepperoni: use regular or turkey pepperoni.
- Snacks: of course, we need fresh fruit and veggies to make this lunch complete.
Want more lunch ideas your kids will love? Grab them all right below:
101 Packed Lunches eBook
All my best kid-friendly lunches from over a decade of creating meal plans. Add some variety to your child’s lunchbox with these epic lunches, plus receive my Pack Meals Like a Pro ebook, free with purchase!
How to Make Pizza Uncrustables
Let me show you how to assemble these uncrustables so the sandwich stays intact and every bite tastes like a cheesy pepperoni pizza!
- Assemble the sandwich
Spread the tomato sauce onto the center of one slice of bread and top with cheese, pepperoni, and the remaining slice of bread. *We all love a loaded pizza, but be careful not to overfill your uncrustable.
- Crimp it
Press the sandwich crimper or glass rim into the center and remove the outer crust.
- Grill it- if you’d like
Grill the uncrustables exactly like a grilled cheese sandwich. Remove it from the heat and allow it to cool down to room temperature.
Watch this quick video to see all the pizza uncrustables magic for yourself.
How to Pack Pizza Uncrustables for lunch
Now, let’s get this pizza uncrustable ready for the lunch bag.
Wash and slice the carrots and apple. Prepare and grill the uncrustable using the directions above.
- Keep it fresh
Place the uncrustable into a lunch container, and pack the veggies and fruit into separate compartments.
- Pack it up
Transfer the lunch container into a lunch bag with an ice pack. How easy was that?!
Can You Freeze Homemade Pepperoni Uncrustables?
These pizza uncrustables can be frozen once made and before toasting or grilling them. After you crimp the bread, place it in a sandwich-sized zip bag and freeze it. In the morning, you can pack it in the lunch bag frozen to thaw out by lunch.
Homemade Pizza Uncrustables
- 2 slices of bread
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons shredded cheese
- 4 pepperoni
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 apple, sliced
- Place the bread onto a flat surface and spread the tomato sauce onto the center of one slice. Top with cheese, pepperoni, and the remaining slice of bread.
- Press the sandwich crimper or glass rim into the center of the sandwich, and remove the crusts.
- Optional: grill the uncrustable in a lightly greased non-stick pan until both sides are golden. Remove from heat and allow it to cool down to room temperature.
- Pack the uncrustable into a lunch container, making sure to keep it separate from the carrots and apple slices. Close the lunch container and pack it with an ice pack into a lunch bag.