Qui-no-what? Yes! Kids can love other things besides pasta! This delicious Quinoa salad is perfect to fill any lunchbox quickly!
My daughter loves it when I send her something other than a sandwich in her lunch box…like a lettuce-free “salad”. This quinoa salad idea is a fun change from our usual rice or pasta salad.
It’s true. Haven’t you heard? Quinoa isn’t just for dinner…it’s also great inside the lunch box! To make this easier, use leftover quinoa from dinner. The recipe can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge for up to three days.
Utilizing leftovers in a delicious lunch like this will save you time in the kitchen and money on wasted food. It’s a win-win! Easy recipes like this one fill our weekly meal plans. If you are struggling for affordable lunch ideas that beat the sandwich rut, you can grab a free copy of our sample meal plan here.
Doesn’t this recipe look delicious? Now, if our kids could only see how much love went into their lunchbox we’d be set!
Lunch Box Quinoa Salad with Veggies
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 4 Lunchbox servings 1x
- Cuisine: Lunch
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1/4 cup minced carrots
- 1/4 cup green peas
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Cook quinoa: bring water to a boil, pour quinoa. Reduce heat to a low/simmer until water has been absorbed (about 15 minutes).
- Pour cooked quinoa into a mixing bowl, and chill in refrigerator until cold (about 30 minutes).
- Remove quinoa from fridge and stir in the red bell pepper, red onion, curry powder, cilantro, lime juice, carrots, and peas. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Chill before serving.
*Also featuring this post over at the Queen of Quinoa link party.