Skip the fast-food and make these lunchbox burrito bowls at home with fresh ingredients and taco night leftovers.
Cheese, beans, rice, salsa, and guacamole- nothing is missing from these burrito bowls, and they make a delicious, hearty lunch everyone will enjoy. See how fast these bowls come together in the video below:
Burrito Bowls for Lunch
I love to make my own burrito bowls at home because I can prep ahead for when we need a quick and easy meal. Cook your rice, wash the beans, and chop any additional toppings. Refrigerate the ingredients until you are ready to assemble! Mealtime doesn’t get any easier than that.
You can also do the “cook once, eat twice method” and use up any taco night leftovers like taco meat, cheese, sour cream, and salsa. Nothing goes to waste, and you get a whole new recipe from leftovers!
Love simple recipe ideas like this one? Download a sample MOMables Meal Plan where you’ll find 5 dinner recipes, a done-for-you shopping list, and a step-by-step meal prep sheet!
Classic Weekly Meal Plan
Eat delicious real food family meals with a simple plan. Recipes, meal prep, and done-for-you shopping list inside.
How to Pack Burrito Bowls for Lunch
Burrito bowls are customizable and, therefore, a popular meal option with the kids. You can pack them in a regular lunch container or thermos if you want to keep all the ingredients warm. Here’s how:
- Make your Layers
In a lunch or thermos container, add a layer of hot rice. Top with reheated corn, beans, taco meat, and any additional veggies.
- Add the Goods
Top the burrito bowl with salsa and cheese. Seal the container.
- Don’t forget the Guac!
Pack any sour cream or guacamole in mini sauce containers and send with the burrito bowls to be added just before eating.
What are some toppings and ingredients you’d like to try in these homemade burrito bowls?
Lunch Box Burrito Bowls
Skip the fast-food and make these lunchbox burrito bowls at home with fresh ingredients and your favorite taco night toppings.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Lunch
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Diet: Gluten Free
For the bowls:
- 1 ½ cups rice
- 1 rotisserie chicken, shredded, about 3 to 4 cups
- 8-ounce container salsa
- 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup guacamole
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- Cook rice according to package directions on the stovetop or rice cooker.
- Prepare your burrito bowl toppings by transferring them into bowls.
- Heat your rotisserie chicken and shred the meat, using two forks and on a cutting board, into smaller pieces.
- Fill serving bowls with cooked rice, top with shredded chicken, salsa, and desired toppings to build 6 bowls.
- For a grain-free bowl, use shredded lettuce instead of rice.
To Pack for Lunch:
- Layer the cooked rice into a thermos or lunch container. Top with chicken, salsa, and cheese.
- Pack the guacamole and sour cream into separate mini sauce containers to be added to the bowls prior to eating.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 543
- Sugar: 2.5g
- Sodium: 698.8mg
- Fat: 21.4g
- Saturated Fat: 7.7g
- Carbohydrates: 56g
- Fiber: 8.9g
- Protein: 31.1g
- Cholesterol: 82.5mg
Keywords: homemade burrito bowls, healthy burrito bowls, chicken burrito bowls