Who’s ready for a big bowl of creamy, cheesy, chicken pasta goodness? This family-favorite dinner tastes even better packed in a thermos for lunch the next day.
Keep scrolling to learn everything you need to know about packing this leftover salsa verde chicken in a thermos for a healthy school lunch.
Hot Lunch Idea: Salsa Verde Pasta
Salsa verde is a combination of roasted tomatillos (small green tomatoes), chilis, garlic, and cilantro blended into a zesty sauce. Unlike pico de gallo or regular salsa, it has a smoky, vibrant flavor that makes it the star of this easy pasta dish.
While salsa verde pasta is often served for dinner, in this post I’ll show you how to reheat the pasta and pack it into a thermos container so everyone can enjoy a delicious, hot lunch!
How to make Salsa Verde Chicken Pasta
There are two routes to making this heavenly pasta. First, you could make these slow cooker Salsa Verde Chicken Tacos for dinner one night and use the leftover salsa verde chicken for this pasta the next. Tacos one night, pasta the next, what’s not to love?
The second method for Salsa Verde Chicken Pasta would be to combine 2 to 3 cups of shredded rotisserie chicken meat with salsa verde, lime juice, and taco seasoning. Give it a stir and add to the cooked pasta and cream sauce.
No matter how you make it, you’ll have some delicious things going on in the kitchen.
And if you want to pack more incredible lunches like this, I’ve got over 100 kid-approved recipes in the 101 Packed Lunches eBook. You’ll find everything from hot lunches to bento boxes, loaded wraps, and more!
101 Packed Lunches eBook
All my best kid-friendly lunches from over a decade of creating meal plans. Add some variety to your child’s lunchbox with these epic lunches, plus receive my Pack Meals Like a Pro ebook, free with purchase!
How to Keep Pasta Leftovers Warm for Lunch
There’s a trick to keeping food hot in a thermos,
and below I’ll share step-by-step directions on how to do just that with creamy pasta.
- Add a portion of pasta to a microwave-safe dish.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons of water and cover with plastic wrap.
- Microwave for 2 minutes or until the pasta is PIPING HOT. It needs to be at this high of a temp to stay warm.
- Transfer the hot pasta to a warmed thermos container and seal. Pack it into a lunch bag with additional sides and snacks.
Check out the video below to see the fastest way to warm your thermos container:
Curious why we add water and cover the dish with plastic wrap when reheating pasta? The water helps reconstitute the sauce, and the plastic wrap creates a barrier of steam that prevents the pasta from drying out.
More Recipes Using Salsa Verde
There’s no wrong answer but first, you need to make this Salsa Verde Chicken Pasta and while you do I’ll be over here burying my face in this cheesy pasta goodness.
Salsa Verde Chicken Pasta
- In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, add the chicken broth, salsa verde, half and half, pasta, salt, and black pepper. Stir to combine and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Cover with a lid, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat, and stir in the shredded chicken and 1 cup of cheese until the mixture is creamy. Add the remaining cheese over the pasta and cover the skillet with the lid for 2 minutes to melt the cheese.
- To pack for lunch, preheat the thermos container and fill it with about 1 ½ cups of salsa verde pasta. Close the thermos container and pack it into a lunch bag with your choice of snacks.
- Include an ice pack to keep the other ingredients chilled.