These zucchini waffles are a cheesy, delicious way to get kids to eat their veggies. Make them for an easy side dish or to pack for lunch.
Check out this quick video to see how easy these savory waffles are to make:
Parmesan Zucchini Waffles
Everyone loves a good waffle, and these savory waffles are the perfect way to veggie-up a classic recipe.
When it comes to getting kids to try new foods like zucchini, sometimes you need to think outside the box. Waffles may not be the first thing that comes to mind, but once you bite into this cheesy waffle, you’ll know exactly why this is a healthy meal for picky eaters that everyone can enjoy.
The zucchini seems a little less intimidating by taking something fun and easy, like waffles, and adding familiar flavors, such as Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning.
Love recipes like this one but can’t imagine everyone eating this at your house because of picky eating? Improve mealtimes with a FREE 6-Video Mini-Course from MOMables.
How to Pack Parmesan Zucchini Waffles for Lunch
These savory waffles make a great lunch served with marinara sauce. You can make extra at dinner or use them for an easy meal prep and stash them in the fridge for a delicious lunch later in the week.
Here’s how to make prep zucchini waffles and reheat them:
- Prepare the zucchini waffles as directed.
- Remove the waffles from heat and allow them to cool down to room temperature.
- Pack into lunch containers and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
- Before packing for lunch, reheat the waffles in the toaster or toaster oven on medium heat for 1 minute or until the edges are golden and crispy.
- Pack into lunch containers with your favorite dipping sauce.
More Zucchini Recipes
Zucchini is a super versatile food you can use to make everything from low-carb pasta to baked goods. Here are a few of my favorite recipes to make with zucchini:
Zucchini Parmesan Waffles
- 2 cups shredded zucchini, roughly 2 medium zucchini
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ cup grated Parmesan, divided
- ½ cup all-purpose flour*
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Oil or non-stick spray for waffle-maker
- Place the shredded zucchini in a colander and sprinkle with about ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Let the salted zucchini sit for about 30 minutes, rinse with cold water, and press out as much of the moisture as possible. Alternatively, ring out zucchini inside a clean kitchen towel to remove excess water.
- Preheat your waffle maker to medium heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, and ¼ cup of the grated Parmesan cheese.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour with Italian seasoning.
- Combine the egg and milk mixture with the flour mixture.
- Once the batter is thoroughly mixed, add in the grated zucchini and stir until everything is well combined.
- Spray or coat your waffle iron with oil.
- Place rounded tablespoons of the batter on the waffle iron, leaving room for the fritters to spread slightly.
- Close the lid and cook until lightly browned about 3-5 minutes. Serve warm and sprinkle waffles with remaining parmesan cheese.
Adapted from Yahoo Food.