Craving a cozy lunch? This Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup is an easy and delicious answer to that request!
My kids love marinara sauce with tortellini, so they certainly approve of this meal, and I’m not mad about it! Tortellini in a savory tomato broth is wholesome comfort food at its best.
The best part? This is one of those recipes you can whip up in a matter of minutes with everyday ingredients like canned tomatoes, Italian sausage, and pre-packaged tortellini. You can even use pre-made ravioli if that’s what you have on hand!
While this makes a fantastic dinner, I also like to use it for warm school lunches. You can prepare it 3 days ahead and reheat it in the morning- this way, you have a delicious lunch ready in less than 5 minutes!
If you’re looking for new AND tasty lunch ideas you can easily pack, you’ll find 100+ of them here:
101 Packed Lunches eBook
All my best kid-friendly lunches from over a decade of creating meal plans. Add some variety to your child’s lunchbox with these epic lunches, plus receive my Pack Meals Like a Pro ebook, free with purchase!
How to Pack Soup for Lunch
Want to know how to keep soup hot for hours in the lunch bag? Here’s where you find out:
- Reheat a portion of soup in a microwave-safe dish or on the stove-top until it’s piping hot (212F and 100C). You should not be able to taste-test it.
- Meanwhile, preheat the thermos container with hot water.
- Carefully drain the hot water and fill the thermos container with hot soup. Top with lid and seal.
- Pack the thermos and your favorite snacks into the lunch bag, and you’re all set! By the time lunch rolls around, the soup will be just right and ready to enjoy.
Curious how to preheat a thermos? I’ll show you just what to do in this quick video:
Thermos Tomato Tortellini Soup
- ½ pound Italian sausage, optional
- ¼ cup red pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 28- ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons prepared basil pesto, optional
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 9- ounce package cheese-filled tortellini
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large soup pot, brown sausage over medium heat.
- Add the chopped red pepper and sauté till tender. Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Drain any additional grease from the sausage.
- Add the crushed tomatoes with liquid, basil pesto, broth, half and half, onion powder, and Italian seasoning.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and stir in tortellini and parmesan cheese.
- Continue to simmer until cheese is melted and tortellini is cooked.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Serve with remaining Parmesan cheese.
- To pack for lunch, reheat a portion of soup in the microwave or on the stove-top until it’s 212F or 100C.
- Meanwhile, preheat a thermos container with boiling water.
- Drain the hot water and transfer the soup into the thermos. Top with lid and seal.