Need to get supper on the table in 30 minutes? This Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup is the answer to this mealtime dilemma.
We all have those evenings where we need to get supper on the table quickly. This recipe came about from exactly one of those nights. My kids love marinara sauce with tortellini. One evening, when I went to make supper, I found both these ingredients in the my pantry, but not enough tortellini to serve everyone. So, why not add more marinara? This soup came together quickly, with the Italian flavors and tortellini kids love. If you happen to have leftovers, they make a great thermos lunch for the next day.
For more easy recipes your entire family will love, head over to Momables and sign up for our meal plans.
Want to see how easy it is to make this recipe? Check out this quick video!
Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup
- 1/2 pound. Italian sausage, optional.
- 1/4 cup red pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 ounce can) crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons prepared basil pesto
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 1/4 cup half and half
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 9 oz. cheese-filled tortellini
- 1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large soup pot, brown sausage over medium heat.
- Add chopped red pepper, sauté till tender.
- Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Drain any additional grease from sausage.
- Add crushed tomatoes, basil pesto, broth, half and half, onion powder, and Italian seasoning.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Stir in tortellini and parmesan cheese.
- Continue to simmer until cheese is melted and tortellini is cooked.
- Season to preference with salt and pepper.
- Serve in individual bowls and top with remaining parmesan cheese.
- Store any leftovers in refrigerator.