Need to get dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes? This Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup is an easy and delicious answer to that request!
We all have those evenings where we need to get supper on the table quickly and I can’t think of a better recipe than tortellini soup. My kids love marinara sauce with tortellini so they approve of this meal and I’m not mad about it, tortellini in a savory tomato broth is wholesome comfort food at it’s best.
Check out how this yummy soup comes easily comes together in the video below:
This is another one of those dinner ideas you can whip up in a matter of minutes with canned tomatoes, Italian sausage, and pre-packaged tortellini. You can even use pre-made ravioli if that’s what you have on hand!
It’s simple and delicious recipes like this one that helps parents pull off mealtimes without a glitch. You’ll find them inside the MOMables Classic Meal Plan. Download a sample meal plan here.
How to Pack Soup for Lunch
Trust me, if you have leftovers, you’ll want to pack them for lunch the next day. Come lunchtime, everyone will be thrilled. Here’s how to do it:
- Heat the soup in the microwave or on stove-top to a boiling point (212F and 100C). You should not be able to test if the food is hot enough.
- Pack it into the thermos and seal.
Easy right?! By the time lunch rolls around, the soup will be just right and ready to enjoy.
Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup
This creamy tomato tortellini soup is a quick and easy meal you can make for dinner or pack for a hot thermos lunch!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4–6 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove-top
- Cuisine: Italian
- ½ pound Italian sausage, optional.
- ¼ cup red pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons prepared basil pesto, optional
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 ¼ cup half and half
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 9-ounce package cheese-filled tortellini
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large soup pot, brown sausage over medium heat.
- Add the chopped red pepper and sauté till tender. Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Drain any additional grease from the sausage.
- Add the crushed tomatoes with liquid, basil pesto, broth, half and half, onion powder, and Italian seasoning.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and stir in tortellini and parmesan cheese.
- Continue to simmer until cheese is melted and tortellini is cooked.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Serve with remaining Parmesan cheese.
Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 320
- Sugar: 12.3g
- Sodium: 1169.7mg
- Fat: 14.1g
- Saturated Fat: 5.4g
- Carbohydrates: 37.8g
- Fiber: 4.1g
- Protein: 13.3g
- Cholesterol: 32.2mg
Keywords: thermos soup, thermos lunch,