If you’re like me and find yourself and your kids reaching for salty snacks like chips and crackers, these zucchini chips are a great solution. They’re easily made in the oven with your choice of seasonings and baked to perfection.
All you need to make these chips are a couple of zucchinis, a large baking sheet, parchment paper, and your choice of seasonings. It’s a super simple recipe and a healthier swap for regular potato chips.
How to Make Zucchini Chips
We let the oven work its magic to turn sliced zucchini into crispy, delicious little things. Here’s how to make them:
Preheat the oven to 225F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice paper-thin
Using a mandolin or chef’s knife, thinly slice the zucchini into ⅛-inch thick slices. This is easy to do with a mandolin, but give yourself some grace if you’re using a knife.
- Extract the moisture
Place the slices onto a paper towel and sprinkle with salt. Cover with an additional paper towel and allow the zucchini to sit for 10 minutes.
- Add your seasonings
Lay the zucchini onto the baking sheet in an even layer. Use two baking sheets if necessary. Brush the olive oil over the zucchini then sprinkle with seasonings.
- Bake until crispy
Bake for 2 hours or until the zucchini chips are crisp and golden.
- Time to dip
Remove the zucchini from the oven and allow to cool before serving. As they cool they will further crisp up. Enjoy them as is or serve with your favorite dip.
Watch this quick video to see the baked zucchini come together step-by-step.
Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week, after baking and cooling. Adding a paper towel will help keep them dry and crisp.
Zucchini chips make a great addition to the lunchbox, including any of these 101 Packed Lunch Ideas. There are a variety of recipes to choose from, like sandwiches, wraps, power bowls, and bento boxes, and a side of baked zucchini chips will help make the lunch complete!
How Long to Bake Zucchini Chips
Zucchini chips need to bake low and slow. This gives enough time for any excess moisture to evaporate and the zucchini to get crispy without burning. In a 225F, which is about the temperature of a dehumidifier, it takes around 2 hours.
You’ll know the chips are ready when they are golden in some spots and crispy to the touch.
If you want to speed up the process, try making these zucchini chips in the air-fryer. It takes about 30 minutes, and they have that roasted, air-fryer flavor.
Crispy Zucchini Chips
Here are a few simple tips to ensure those zucchini chips turn out nice and crisp.
Too many spices and seasonings will cause the chips to wilt.
Give them space
Crowding the slices onto the baking sheet causes them to sweat, and you guessed it, that means steamed zucchini, not chips.
Don’t skip the salting step
Salting the uncooked zucchini slices and pressing between paper towels will help extract moisture, so they crisp up nicely in the oven.
Zucchini Chip Seasonings
You can season these zucchini chips any way you like, whether it’s plain ole salt and pepper or one of the seasoning blends below. Remember not to use too much seasoning; ½ teaspoon should be plenty.
How to Serve Zucchini Chips
Now that you have a healthier chip, you can also enjoy them with your favorite dip. Below are a few ideas to serve with these zucchini chips while keeping it light:
Baked Zucchini Chips
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and other seasonings to taste
- Preheat the oven to 225F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Using a mandoline or a knife, thinly slice the zucchini. The thinner the slices, the better they’ll crisp up in the oven.
- Lay the slices evenly onto sheets of paper towels, then sprinkle the tops with salt. Use no more than ¼ teaspoon total for all the slices.
- Allow the slices to sit for about 10 minutes. This will help draw out the liquid.
- After 10 minutes, blot the slices dry with additional paper towels to remove the excess moisture.
- Lay the slices evenly on the baking sheet (you may need to use more than one pan, depending on how large your zucchini is).
- Brush the olive oil evenly over the tops of the slices, then sprinkle with your seasonings of choice. Be careful not to use too much because you already salted the slices, and they will shrink when baking.
- Bake for about 2 hours, or until they’ve reached your desired crispiness.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool prior to serving.