Who doesn’t love a good queso dip? That creamy, velvety cheese dip that tastes good with EVERYTHING.
Unfortunately, it’s also made of processed, mystery ingredients that leave us all feeling guilty with every bite. But, I have finally found the PERFECT real, cheese dip that has the same velvety, delicious quality of the fake cheese, but made with real ingredients!
Of course, there is nothing wrong with munching on fruits and veggies but why not add a new, healthier alternative to the party? A cheesy, better ingredient alternative!
Test after test, 21 tries later, I am glad to introduce you to MOMveeta! Made with real cheese, milk, and spices this recipe can be made in your microwave or slow cooker. Does it get any better?!
It goes to show you that real food can be fun and delicious! For more family favorite recipes and snack ideas, check out our family meal plans.
This MOMveeta or homemade Velveeta cheese is a perfect dip for chips, pretzels, veggies or anything else you love to dip in cheese. So if it’s game day or your best friends’ daughter’s birthday, this is the perfect, super yummy party food!
Homemade Velveeta Recipe
Makes about 4 cups.
- Cuisine: Snacks
- 16 ounces natural American cheese
- 8 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 10-ounce can diced tomatoes & green chilies, drained* (optional)
- Place all the ingredients inside a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for 5 minutes, stopping to stir every 1 to 2 minutes. The mixture might seem watery during the first few stirs, but it should come together as a nice runny dip after all the cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately as a dip with tortilla chips. You can cool this in a loaf pan and refrigerate for a week to use as you would use traditional Velveeta.
Slow cooker directions:
- Place all the ingredients in a small slow cooker (that will fit at least 4 cups of liquid). Turn it on high for 2 1/2 hours. Mix the ingredients every hour to prevent the cheese from sticking to the walls and possibly burning. Reduce the heat to the lowest setting, and enjoy!
* The diced tomatoes & green chiles is optional, but it adds a lot more flavor. To make this as a true Velveeta replacement, take out the diced tomatoes & green chilies, and add ½ cup additional milk. Cool and refrigerate or freeze in 1-cup portions. Reheat every 30 seconds until creamy and hot. Use as you would with Velveeta.
Not all white American cheeses are made equal. Check the ingredients because some don’t really expire. If it says “cheese product,” it’s probably not real. I used Land O’Lakes brand in our test. Yes, I know, it’s not the best, but many of you asked for it. After 21 tests and more than $300 in cheese, there is just no way to get around it. Get the best quality you can find and afford. For both recipes, I purchased the cheese from the deli counter in a big chunk; don’t use sliced cheese.