Gluten-free cheese crackers that are just as crispy and delicious as the original.
Cheese Crackers with Rice Flour
Thanks to the brown rice flour, these crackers are a better-for-you AND a gluten-free snack option.
While most gluten-free flours are useful for making all sorts of treats and snacks, I don’t recommend swapping the brown rice flour for another alternative. It gives these crackers their crispy texture and nutty flavor.
Even with cheese, these crackers are very pasty white. You could try mixing a small amount of turmeric in the water before adding it to the dough, a little goes a long way to add that orange color and it won’t affect the flavor.
Having go-to snack and lunch ideas that are gluten-free will always come to the rescue when making recipes your family will love, and these crackers are perfect for enjoying after school or packed in a lunchbox.
How to Make Gluten-Free Cheese Crackers
This dough is quick to assemble, slice, and bake into delicious, crunchy crackers. Here’s how to make this snack happen:
Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Combine the Dry Ingredients
In a large bowl, combine the flours, salt, garlic powder, and cheese.
- Make the Dough
To the flour, add the butter and water. Knead the dough until it forms a ball.
- Roll Out
Place the dough onto parchment paper and, using a rolling pin, roll out into a ⅛th-inch thick rectangle.
Using a cookie cutter or knife, slice the dough into 1-inch crackers. Transfer the parchment paper to a large baking sheet.
Bake for about 12 minutes. Turn the oven off, but leave the crackers in the oven for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
Want more homemade and healthier versions of your kid’s favorite recipes? Be sure to check out The Best Homemade Kid’s Snacks on the Planet. It’s full of all sorts of delicious ideas the entire family will love.
101 Packed Lunches eBook
All my best kid-friendly lunches from over a decade of creating meal plans. Add some variety to your child’s lunchbox with these epic lunches, plus receive my Pack Meals Like a Pro ebook, free with purchase!
More Gluten-Free Snacks
Need more lunchbox friendly gluten-free snacks? I’ve got you covered with kid-approved ideas right below:
Gluten-Free Cheesy Crackers
- ½ cup brown rice flour
- ½ cup tapioca flour
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅓ cup finely grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted or 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 3-5 tablespoons water
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, salt, garlic powder, and cheese.
- Add the melted butter and water 1 tablespoon at a time mixing to combine after each addition.
- Once a dough forms, knead it into a ball.
- Place the dough on parchment paper or a nonstick rolling mat. Roll out into a rectangular shape until the dough is about ⅛-inch thick.
- Slice into crackers with a knife, pizza slicer, or cookie cutters (you can re-roll scraps and rough edges to make more.)
- Transfer the parchment paper with the crackers to a baking sheet. For a more golden look, lightly spray or brush the tops of the crackers with melted butter or oil. Sprinkle extra sea salt and cheese over the top, if desired.
- Bake for about 12 minutes, until starting to turn golden. Turn the oven off, but leave the crackers in the oven for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool completely. Store in an airtight container.