A fun twist on a classic sandwich! Your kids will love these Grilled Cheese Dippers for lunch, especially paired with warm tomato soup.
Sandwiches are a classic lunch staple, and there are so many ideas outside of the classic ham and cheese. I have several recipes on this site like the Hummus Veggie Club as well as a Homemade PB & J Uncrustable recipe to help you change up the lunchtime favorite.
However, the most requested sandwich in our house is- grilled cheese! Are you surprised??
All you need are three simple ingredients: butter, bread, and cheese to create a gooey melted, delicious meal. For this recipe, I’m going a step further by slicing the sandwich into dippers that you can pair with tomato soup like this Slow Cooker Veggie & Tomato Soup.
It’s an easy way to introduce veggies to your kids because everything is pureéd into a smooth and savory soup. Unless you tell them, no one would ever know there are veggies in it!
You also have options when it comes to this recipe, you can make it with grain-free bread and swap the Cheddar cheese for your favorite selection.
If you need more easy lunch ideas like these grilled cheese dippers, be sure to get a free weekly meal plan! We’ve got you covered for lunch and dinner, with both classic and grain-free options.
Packing Grilled Cheese Dippers for Lunch
If you want to pack these grilled cheese dippers or any grilled sandwich in a lunchbox, check out the video below to see how I make sure the bread stays crispy.
Don’t forget about that tomato soup, it makes these dippers even better! Pack it piping hot in a thermos container, and by the time lunch rolls around, it will be the perfect temperature for dunking.
I hope your kids love these delicious grilled cheese dippers!
Grilled Cheese Dippers
Homemade grilled cheese dippers take an easy dinner idea and transform into a fun school lunch!
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 minutes
- Total Time: 8 – 10 minutes
- Yield: 1 1x
- Category: Lunch
- Method: Skillet
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 2 slices of whole-grain bread
- 1 – 2 slices Cheddar cheese
- Butter, for grilling
- Butter one side of both bread slices; flip over onto a flat surface. Place cheese on one slice of bread and cover with the second slice, if using.
- Place cheese sandwich, buttered side down, on a skillet over medium heat. Grill for 2-3 minutes, until cheese, has begun to melt and bread is golden brown. Press down with a spatula, flip, and grill the second side. Remove from pan onto a cutting board.
- Allow the grilled sandwich to cool down for five minutes, cut the sandwich into narrow strips, and pack in a lunch container.
- Serve with tomato soup.
- Let the grilled sandwich cool down before slicing and packing it in the lunchbox. If you cut it too soon and pack it while it’s still hot, the bread will be soggy by lunchtime.
- The nutritional information is calculated with one slice of cheese.
- Serving Size: 1 sandwich
- Calories: 414
- Sugar: 3.6g
- Sodium: 650.4mg
- Fat: 24.4g
- Saturated Fat: 13.4g
- Carbohydrates: 30.4g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Protein: 18g
- Cholesterol: 65.6mg