Learn how to make fruit leather with strawberries for a fun and healthy snack made with fresh fruit and rolled up into a yummy treat kids will love.
With only 2 ingredients, this is an easy snack to have on hand when you need something on the go and it’s much healthier than the pre-packaged option which has a lot of added sugars and artificial color.
Fruit Leather Ingredients
I love using fresh fruit to make fruit leather. By using strawberries, which are in season right now, gives the fruit leather more flavor and natural sweetness. Feel free to substitute with other berries and fruits. Here’s everything you need to make these fruit roll ups:
- 4 cups chopped strawberries
Other fruit options to make the best fruit leather include:
Can you make fruit leather with frozen fruit?
Don’t have fresh fruit? No problem! You can definitely use any of your favorite frozen fruit. Allow the fruit to defrost in the fridge or on your countertop and proceed with the recipe.
If making strawberry leather, which has tiny seeds, pass the pureed berries through a colander before baking.
Homemade Fruit Leather
This is one of the easiest recipes to make, but it does require a lot of time in the oven, about 4 hours, so make sure you plan to make your fruit leather on a day when you’ll be home for a good stretch of time.
It can be hard to find recipes made with fresh ingredients that kids will actually eat. These homemade fruit roll-ups are a great start that you can feel good about including in the lunchbox. And for real-food lunch ideas to go along with this treat check out my latest eBook.
101 Packed Lunches eBook
All my best kid-friendly lunches from over a decade of creating meal plans. Add some variety to your child’s lunchbox with these epic lunches, plus receive my Pack Meals Like a Pro ebook, free with purchase!
How to make fruit leather
Making fruit leather is an easy process that uses simple ingredients. Here’s what to do:
Start by preheating the oven to 200F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Wash and chop the fruit, if using strawberries, remove the leafy green tops.
Place the chopped fruit in a blender and puree until smooth. Add honey, if desired, and blend to combine.
Line your baking sheet with parchment paper, spread the fruit mixture onto the paper until smooth, and bake it in the oven until the leather peels away from the parchment.
- Cool Down
Allow the fruit leather to cool down for 4 hours or overnight before cutting into long strips.
You can also watch how the recipe comes together in this video:
This always looks adorable in lunch boxes and the kids are so thrilled to see a favorite snack and it’s something I feel great about giving to my kids because it’s made with real ingredients.
How to Make Fruit Leather – EASY
Easy homemade fruit leather recipe made with strawberries and honey. No sugar added fruit roll ups for the perfect afternoon snack.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 hours
- Total Time: 10 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 6
- Category: snacks
- Cuisine: Snacks
- 4 cups strawberries, hulled and halved (or any other fruit)
- 2 tablespoons honey (optional)
- Preheat oven to 150 – 200 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (do not use wax paper).
- Pour berries and honey into a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
- Pour berry mixture onto parchment lined 9×13-inch pan(21cm x 31cm). If you wish to remove the berry seeds, pour it through a sieve or ring it through a cloth (much faster).
- Spread the berry mixture with a spatula to a thin even layer.
- Bake for 6 hours, until leather peels away easily from the parchment. Set on the counter to fully cool down for 4 hours or overnight.
- Using scissors cut the parchment paper from the edges and then into strips. Roll them up, parchment and all.
- Don’t pour too thin of a layer or you’ll have fruit crisps instead of fruit leather-pour it too thick and it will take longer to leather.
- Oven temperatures will vary. Start checking it after 3.5-4 hours. If you leave it in too long again…fruit crisps.
- Serving Size: 1 roll
- Calories: 52
- Sugar: 10.4g
- Sodium: 1.2mg
- Fat: 0.3g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 13.1g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Protein: 0.7g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: strawberry roll ups, homemade fruit leather, fruit roll ups, homemade fruit roll ups, fruit leather recipe, fruit strips, strawberry fruit leather, strawberry fruit leather in oven, fruit jerky