July 25, 2014
Everyone’s favorite nacho-cheese chips get an ingredient makeover with this easy Homemade Dorito recipe!
And the other big bonus? You won’t have to worry about half the bag being filled with air. Make as many as you want, and enjoy them ALL.
This homemade Dorito recipe is just as yummy as the other guys but made with real ingredients. They are perfect with cheese dip for a party appetizer or packed into a school lunch. However you serve them, they’ll be the first snack to go!
We see these particular chips at nearly every party and they’re gone from the table at lightning speed because everyone loves them, including yours truly! What many of us don’t love is the long ingredient list.
Does that mean we don’t eat chips at all? Of course not, we eat other varieties but that doesn’t stop us from wanting these.
To make these chips, I prefer to use corn tortillas since they turn into that crispy texture of Doritos when baked.
How to Make Doritos Chips
And it doesn’t take much to turn regular corn tortillas and a handful of seasoning into those crunchy, nacho-cheese flavored chips. Here’s how to make your own Doritos at home:
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the tortillas onto the baking sheet and brush oil on both sides. Stack the tortillas, then cut 3 ways making 6 triangles.
- In a medium-size bowl, add the Parmesan cheese, chili powder, smoked paprika, and salt, stir to combine. Toss the sliced tortillas into the spice mix, making sure each piece gets evenly coated and ley them in a single later onto the baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until crisp. Allow the chips to cool down to room temperature before serving or packing into lunch containers.
Easy enough, right? Watch this video to see how it’s done!
You could say I have a knack for taking kid-favorite foods like pop tarts, Oreos, fruit roll-ups, and turning them into real and tasty treats like I did for many of the recipes in The Best Homemade Kids’ Snacks on the Planet Cookbook.
It has countless, incredible snacks and treats recipes made with wholesome ingredients. It’s a great tool for any picky eaters and encourages kids to try new things. And when you have picky eaters, you know trying to eat less processed foods can be a challenge, that’s why I’m here to help.
Recipes like these homemade Doritos prove that real food can be fun, easy to make, and something kids actually want to eat!
- 6 tortillas
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 ½ teaspoons chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and position the oven rack in the middle of the oven. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the tortillas onto the baking sheet and brush oil on both sides. Stack the tortillas and using a pizza cutter or knife, slice them 3 ways, making 6 triangles. For smaller tortillas, slice them 4 ways, into 8 triangles.
- In a large bowl, combine the Parmesan, chili powder, smoked paprika, and salt, and stir to combine. Add the sliced tortillas into the spice mix, tossing them to coat both sides. Once coated, lay them flat on the lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes, flipping them over half way through, give or take add 1-2 minutes until crisp.
- Remove the chips from the oven and let them cool down completely before serving.
- These baked Doritos are best the day they're made, but they can be stored in a zip bag or airtight container for 1-2 days. I recommend making as many as you'll consume.