Love the delicious flavor and crunchiness of churros? Then you’re in for a treat with these homemade cinnamon tortilla chips.
They are the PERFECT snack to make with leftover tortillas and lighter than the original recipe since they’re baked, not fried. Let me show you how it’s done.
What Are Churro Chips
These churro chips are simply tortillas cut down to size, dusted with cinnamon sugar, and baked to perfection. It’s what you need when craving something crunchy, sweet, and easy to make.
Of course, I should also throw in that these taste incredible crushed over vanilla ice cream or with a sweet dip as shared below.
Today, I’ve used a cookie cutter to make heart-shaped cinnamon sugar chips, but you can also cut them into triangles or another fun shape.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this sweet snack happen:
- Sugar: plain ole white sugar
- Cinnamon: essential for the churro flavor.
- Butter: add flavor and help the tortillas crisp up.
- Tortillas: regular flour or whole grain tortillas work best.
Cinnamon Sugar Ratio
The perfect ratio for the churro’s cinnamon sugar coating is 3:1 or 3 tablespoons of sugar per teaspoon of cinnamon. It creates the perfect blend of sweet, spice, and everything nice.
How to Make Cinnamon Tortilla Chips
Now, grab those ingredients, and let’s make these crunchy bits of goodness happen!
Preheat the oven and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Combine the cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl.
- Cut some chips
Use a cookie cutter or knife to cut the tortillas into chip-size shapes. Lightly brush the tortillas with butter and sprinkle the cinnamon sugar on both sides.
- Make them crispy
Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until the chips are toasty and golden. Allow them to cool down to room temperature before serving.
Watch how they’re made in this super-short video!
All that’s left is to grab a chip and enjoy the super crisp texture and cinnamon flavor!
Baked Cinnamon Sugar Chips
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 whole grain tortillas
For the Dip:
- 4 oz reduced-fat cream cheese
- 6 oz vanilla yogurt
- 2 teaspoons sugar, honey or maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C) degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, mix cinnamon and sugar together, set aside.
- Use a cookie cutter cut shapes out of your tortillas; alternatively, use a pizza cutter or knife to cut into triangles.
- Place tortilla pieces on baking sheet and with a basting brush, lightly coat with butter on each side. Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar mixture on both sides.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until lightly golden, keeping a close eye so as not to burn. Allow to cool then serve or pack.
For the Dip:
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, yogurt, sugar and cinnamon until smooth.
- Serve with cinnamon chips and/or fruit.