June 14, 2012
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Today I’m going to show you how to pack a homemade version of those Lunchables nachos your kids love!
This box has all the elements: chips, queso dip, protein, and fresh snacks; keep reading to see how to arrange this box so all the ingredients stays fresh.
Homemade Nachos & Cheese Lunchable
If your kids love those pre-packaged yellow boxes with nacho cheese and chips, this homemade version is a great swap that will cost less and includes better-tasting ingredients.
For the nacho dip, you can either use a queso cup from the grocery store or make my infamous (and easy) cheese dip and pack it into a mini sauce container- either way, you can’t go wrong.
From there, the rest of the lunch is a cinch to assemble; it’s a matter of what you’re kids would love to dip with queso.
What is in a Homemade Lunchables Nacho Lunch
This lunch can be packed with any ingredients, but you will need tortilla chips and nacho cheese to complete it.
- Nacho dip: try this homemade recipe or a store-bought queso cup.
- Tortilla chips: regular, blue corn, and even whole grain crackers.
- Black olives: optional, but make a great snack in this bento.
- Protein: sliced cooked chicken, rolled deli meat, or hard-boiled eggs.
- Snacks: sliced veggies and fruit of any kind.
More Copycat Lunchables Recipes here!
How to Pack this Nacho Lunchables for Lunch
Here’s the part where I show you how to assemble all of these ingredients, so they stay fresh for lunch:
Wash and slice the fruit and veggies, if needed. Slice grilled chicken.
- Wet ingredients together
The veggies, olives, and chicken can be packed into the same compartment. If you don’t want the fruit to pick on the flavors of the chicken or protein, pack it separately.
- Chips separate
To keep the chips crispy, they should be packed into their own compartment or container.
- Prepare for shipment
Close the lunchbox and add it to a lunch bag with an ice pack.
- Cheese sauce
If you’re making homemade cheese dip, pack it into a mini sauce container. Otherwise, add the sealed dip cup to the lunch container or bag.
A compartmentalized lunch container is super helpful for lunch ideas like this! Check out my favorites here.
DIY “Lunchables” Nachos
- ½ red bell pepper sliced into ¼-inch thick strips
- 1 small apple sliced
- ¼ cup pitted black olives
- 3- ounces grilled chicken sliced
- 1 serving blue corn tortilla chips
- ¼ cup or 2 ounces nacho cheese dip
- Wash and slice the fruit and veggies as needed.
- Pack the veggies, olives, and chicken into a compartmentalized lunch container. The fruit can be packed in the same or a separate compartment.
- To keep the chips crunchy, pack them separate from the rest of the ingredients.
- If making this with homemade nacho dip, pack it into a mini sauce container or add the dip cup to the lunch bag along with the assembled Lunchable and an ice pack.
Hi I was wondering about the cheese dip?
How does the cheese dip keep in lunch container, but the time it is lunch time for the kiddos? It is still easy to dip chip into? Or does it become clumpy? Any helpful hits for preparation? Thank you
the cheese is to be eaten immediately after serving or you must spread it over the chips. it will solidify and not store well. You can also send it in a thermos.
I assume that each of these little containers INSIDE the lunch box have tops as well so that it all does not get mixed up….cause I know my little girl would throw around her lunch box and this would be a complete mess when it’s time to eat of they don’t have tops…..hahah
Hi Susan! Yes, you can find this LaptopLunch over in our store. http://www.MOMables.com/store. It does have lids. :)
That looks so much better than the boxed stuff! Do you have a recipe for the cheese dip?
The cheese dip recipe is coming soon…. stay tuned! :)
Great Lunch but how do you make your own Cheese Dip, Thanks again Nikky
Nikky, the cheese dip recipe is coming soon…
Was just checking to see if Cheese Dip Recipe available
It will be soon….
How did you make your cheese dip?
Jennifer, the cheese dip recipe is coming soon….
I will take the Momables lunch to go! You do mail those, right?! LOL ;) You’re meals always look great. Thanks for another idea to pack for my boys. :)
my pleasure. Thank you Ashlyn! We will keep them coming… and remember… if you need someone to help you plan and put it together… you now have us!