July 13, 2023
Forget about the bread getting soggy and the filling falling apart in all directions. With the tips below, you’ll build the perfect sandwich to enjoy later without any mess.
Deli Turkey Sandwich with Cheese
Turkey. Cheese. Bread. I’m sure you got that on your fridge, and that’s all you need to make an epic lunch your kids will devour! It’s tasty, healthy, and quick to assemble in 5 minutes.
You can pack this Turkey and Cheese Sandwich with veggies and fruit for the ultimate balanced and satisfying no-cook meal that makes a terrific lunch for school. Plus, solve the whole family lunch bag by making a few more and packing them for the office!
Keep reading to see how to make this delicious sandwich, prevent it from getting soggy, and the best tips to pack it in your kid’s lunch bag mess-free!
These sandwich with turkey and cheese makes a terrific lunch you can assemble quickly with basic and wholesome staples.
I made this one with the following:
- Sandwich bread: I use whole grain sandwich bread; you can use your favorite one.
- Mayonnaise and mustard: optional, to spread over the bread. You can swap them for hummus.
- Deli turkey: pairs great with cheese!
- Cheese: cheddar, Swiss, Provolone, Colby Jack, or your favorite cheese!
- More sandwich fillings: I kept it classic by adding lettuce leaves and tomato slices.
- Veggies and fruit: optional but always a great idea to add variety and nutrition. Pack your favorite ones!
What Kind of Cheese Goes Well with Turkey
Since turkey has a mild flavor, it pairs well with all kinds of cheeses. For this sandwich, my favorite options are cheddar, Swiss, Provolone, and Colby Jack!
How to Make a Turkey and Cheese Sandwich
Assembling each ingredient in the right place makes the difference between an appealing sandwich and a soggy one!
Check out the step-by-step:
Spread mayonnaise, if using, on one slice of bread and mustard, if using, on the other.
- Add the filling
Top the mayonnaise side with lettuce, tomato, cheese, and turkey. If you’re going to add tomato and pack it for later, place the lettuce leaf or the cheese next to the bread so the tomato doesn’t make the bread wet.
- Close it
Close the sandwich with the other bread slice, and enjoy!
How to Pack a Turkey & Cheese Sandwich for Lunch
Use a firm container (not a zip bag!), and your sandwiches will stay fresh and intact until lunchtime! Pack it with a few extra ingredients, and you got a healthy meal for your kid.
Here’s how to pack this lunch properly:
- Pack the sandwich
Place the turkey and cheese sandwich inside one compartment in the lunch box.
- Add more nutrition
Pack fresh fruit and veggies in another compartment of the lunch box.
Refrigerate until ready to pack inside a lunch bag, with or without an ice pack.
Pack this sandwich in a single container and make it more nutritious and filling by adding this fun Stoplight Bento Box full of veggies and fruit!
If sandwiches are your go-to lunch, check these tips to learn how to pack sandwiches like a pro. No lunch bag mess, perfect and intact lunches every time!
What Goes Well with a Turkey Sandwich
These Turkey and Cheese Sandwich goes great with everything! Pack it with a variety of foods for a healthy and balanced lunch that kids will enjoy eating, like this Hummus and Carrots Bento and this Homemade Fruit Cup. This Chocolate Avocado Pudding is another great addition your kid will ask you to pack on repeat!
Healthy Turkey and Cheese Sandwich
- 2 slices whole grain sandwich bread
- Mayonnaise, optional
- Mustard, optional
- 2 oz deli turkey
- 1 oz cheese slices
- 2 lettuce leaves, optional
- 2 slices tomato, optional
- 1 serving of veggies
- 1 serving of fruit
- Spread mayonnaise, if using, on one slice of bread and mustard, if using on the other.
- Top the mayonnaise side with lettuce, tomato, cheese, turkey, and close the sandwich with the other slice.
- Place the turkey and cheese sandwich inside one compartment in the lunch box.
- Pack fresh fruit and veggies in another compartment of the lunch box. Refrigerate until ready to pack inside a lunch bag, with or without an ice pack.