Aren’t we all looking for the latest, greatest way to get dinner on the table? Quick weeknight meals never go out of style and this Sun Dried Tomato Chicken & Pasta Skillet meal is one everyone will love.
Sun Dried Tomato Pasta Sauce Ingredients
The beauty of this Creamy Sun Dried Tomato and Chicken Pasta Skillet Meal recipe is that it tastes like it took a lot more time to bring together than it actually does.
Simple ingredients like sun dried tomatoes, half and half, fresh basil and chicken breasts combine with penne pasta to create a filling, quick meal your family is sure to enjoy.
If you want to swap the basil in this recipe for pesto, you can make that at home too using my quick broccoli pesto recipe.
You read that right! I add broccoli to the delicious sauce to add a little bit of extra green, and get more vegetables on my kids’ plates.
It’s another healthy swap that my whole family loves and it goes perfectly in this recipe.
If you need a gluten-free version of this simple dinner idea, simply use your favorite gluten-free pasta in place of the penne.
It’s a simple swap I often make at my house with this recipe and our non-gluten-free family members never even notice the difference.
How to Make Sun Dried Tomato Pasta with Chicken
Check out this quick video and see how easy this skillet meal is to make.
So easy, right? This is one of those meals that I love pulling together after a busy day. It’s warm, creamy filling and it’s always a crowd pleaser.
Best of all, it’s so easy to send these leftovers in a thermos for lunch the next day. Sending warm, home cooked meals for lunch is one simple way I like to keep bellies full with healthy and nutritious foods.
For more recipes, like this skillet meal, that will bring variety to your family dinner table subscribe to our meal plans and get fresh recipes and shopping lists delivered to your inbox every single week.
Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Pasta with Chicken – Thermos Lunch Idea
This creamy pasta is a delicious dinner and leftovers work perfectly for a thermos lunchbox meal the next day!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Skillet
- Cuisine: Italian
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- 4-ounce jar sundried tomatoes in oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound chicken breasts, cubed
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon Spanish paprika
- 1 cup half & half or milk
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large pot, bring pasta water to a boil and cook pasta according to package directions. Once cooked, reserve 1 cup of pasta water and drain. Set the pasta aside.
- While the pasta cooks, on a cutting board, finely chop sun-dried tomatoes. Season chicken with salt and paprika.
- In a large 10-12 inch skillet over medium heat, heat up a tablespoon of the sun-dried tomato jar’s oil and sauté the chicken until it’s browned on both sides and cooked through.
- To the same pan, add the sun-dried tomato pieces and garlic, and sauté for an additional minute. Add half and half to the skillet and stir to combine. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally to combine liquid and sundried tomatoes. Once a thick sauce is formed, add Italian seasoning and stir.
- Add cooked pasta to the skillet and combine with sauce. Add ½ cup of the reserved water, mix throughout to thin out the sauce. If it’s too thick, add in the additional reserved pasta water. Mix to combine.
- Serve and sprinkle parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes if desired.
- Recipe nutrition facts are calculated with 1 cup half and half.
- Serving Size: 1 ½ cups
- Calories: 292
- Sugar: 2.7g
- Sodium: 470.5mg
- Fat: 12.8g
- Saturated Fat: 4.2g
- Trans Fat: 0.2g
- Carbohydrates: 35.2g
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Protein: 10.2g
- Cholesterol: 22.2mg