January 10, 2019
Made with fresh veggies, lean ground meat, and seasonings, this egg roll in a bowl is a perfect low-carb meal that will fill you up without weighing you down.
It’s everything we all love about egg rolls but served in an epic low-carb way. Plus, it’s super easy to pack for lunch OR serve for dinner.
Paleo Egg Roll in a Bowl
Adults and kids LOVE this deconstructed eggroll because it tastes exactly like the center of an eggroll without the fried shell and groggy feelings 30 minutes later. It’s a low-carb dinner idea that pleases everyone.
You can serve it over cooked rice for the kids or cauliflower rice if you want to minimize carbs or take part in our Family Kickstart Program. Either way, you can’t go wrong.
What Goes In Egg Roll in a Bowl
For the veggies, I use pre-shredded coleslaw mix. It saves on time!
As far as protein goes, I like ground pork, but you can swap it for ground turkey or beef, whatever your family prefers. If you want to make this completely gluten-free, use coconut aminos instead of soy sauce.
- Sesame oil
- Ground beef, chicken, or pork
- Black pepper
- Garlic powder
- Coleslaw mix
- Coconut aminos
- Rice wine vinegar
- Cauliflower rice or regular rice
Whether you make your own cauliflower rice or use store-bought- it’s the perfect low-carb swap and absorbs all the flavors from the cooked veggies and sauce.
How to Make Egg Roll in a Bowl
One skillet and fresh ingredients are all you need to make deconstructed egg rolls. No rolling or frying is involved; this is a stir-fry that comes together fast!
In a large skillet, sauté the onions with seasonings and gound meat. Add the veggies and sauces and continue to cook until the cabbage is tender.
- Make the rice
Meanwhile, prepare a batch of cauliflower rice or regular white rice.
Serve a generous helping over the egg roll mixture over hot cooked rice. Drizzle with a dash of Sriracha, optional, and gig in!
Need a visual? Watch how fast this recipe comes together in the video below:
Egg Roll in a Bowl Calories
Just one serving of this egg roll in a bowl over cauliflower rice is only:
- 13 grams of fat
- 16 grams of net carbs
- 28 grams of protein.
Now that’s what I call a balanced meal. The protein and veggies help to feel you up and keep you satiated for hours to come.
Packing It for Lunch
I typically make this dish for dinner, but why not make extra and use the leftovers for a hot lunch later in the week? Once cooked allow everything to cool down to room temperature before storing in an airtight container or dividing into meal prep containers.
This recipe is good for up to 3 days in the refrigerator and to take this for an office or school lunch, simply reheat it in the microwave prior to packing it in the lunch bag. Easy!
Meal Prep’d eBook
In this book, I share 70+ recipes that can be cooked ahead, stored in single-serve portions or frozen, and save you time and effort in the kitchen.
Cook once and have ready-to-eat meals for an entire week. These nutritious and filling recipes can be enjoyed as dinner or packed for lunch.
Egg Roll in a Bowl Recipe (quick &easy!)
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 med onions, finely chopped
- 1 pound ground beef, chicken, or pork (or finely chopped chicken)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha
- 16- ounce bag coleslaw mix
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 16- ounce bag cauliflower rice or 4 cups riced cauliflower
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat the sesame oil.
- Add the onion and sauté until the onions are translucent. Add the meat, black pepper, garlic powder, salt, and Sriracha, cook until the meat is cooked through.
- Add the coleslaw mix, soy sauce, and rice wine vinegar. Sauté until the cabbage is tender.
- Before serving, prepare the cauliflower rice according to package instructions or if using your own, steam in the microwave or stove-top.
- Serve over the Egg Roll mixture over the cauliflower.