July 22, 2022
We know chickpeas make great hummus, but sandwiches too? Yes, and this mashed chickpea salad sandwich proves it!
You don’t need to be a vegetarian to enjoy this for lunch, just someone who wants to pack something simple and delicious.
Healthy Chickpea Salad Sandwich
Not only does it make an easy 5-minute lunch option, but this chickpea sandwich is full of nutrients. Each serving offers 17.5 grams of protein and 13 grams of fiber, so you can feel good about packing it into the lunchbox.
Like regular tuna or egg salad, the chickpea salad can also be prepped ahead and stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days until you’re ready to use it. This way, you can assemble the lunch lightning fast.
Just be sure to add a tablespoon of warm water to the chilled salad since chickpeas can dry out over time. This will help reconstitute the creamy texture and make it easier to spread onto the bread.
Craving more fresh lunch ideas like this one? I’ve got a ton of them waiting to be made right here:
101 Packed Lunches eBook
All my best kid-friendly lunches from over a decade of creating meal plans. Add some variety to your child’s lunchbox with these epic lunches, plus receive my Pack Meals Like a Pro ebook, free with purchase!
What is in a Mashed Chickpea Salad Sandwich
I know you’re curious about what’s in a mashed chickpea salad sandwich, so let’s find out:
- canned chickpeas: the key ingredient to this salad!
- lemon juice: brightens the flavors.
- olive oil: adds a creamy consistency.
- roasted red bell pepper: gives a delicious roasted flavor, but it’s optional.
- red onion: for a little crunch. You can omit if your kids aren’t a fan.
- fresh parsley: brings a fresh element to this salad. It could be swapped for cilantro.
- seasonings: plain ole salt and black pepper.
- bread: use any sliced sandwich bread to assemble this for lunch.
- greens: spinach, mixed greens, lettuce- whichever you have on hand.
Just watch this gorgeous, colorful sandwich come together in this quick video!
How to Pack Mashed Chickpea Salad Sandwich for Lunch
Let me show you the best way to pack this mashed chickpea salad sandwich, so everything stays in place till lunchtime:
Prepare the chickpea salad mixture using the recipe card below. TIP: toasting the bread will make it sturdier and hold up better with the chickpea mixture.
- Tuck it in
Slice the sandwich in half and secure each half with a sandwich pick, if desired. Pack the sandwich into a compartmentalized lunch container keeping the halves close together, so the filling doesn’t spill out. *A tight-fitting container or compartment can help with this.
- Keep it fresh
Add your choice of veggies and snacks to the lunch container but keep them separate from the bread so it won’t absorb excess moisture. Close the lunch container and add it to a lunch bag with an ice pack.
Kid-Friendly Mashed Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- 15- ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons roasted red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- Salt & black pepper
- 4 slices of whole grain bread
- Handful fresh spinach or chopped lettuce
- In a medium bowl, thoroughly mash half the chickpeas with a fork until smooth. Add the remaining chickpeas, lemon juice, olive oil, bell pepper, onion, parsley, salt, and black pepper, and stir to combine.
- Toast the bread in a toaster or toaster oven and spread the mixture onto 2 slices, top with fresh spinach or lettuce, and assemble the sandwiches with the remaining 2 slices of bread. Cut each sandwich in half, if desired, and pack them into lunch containers.
- Keep the sandwich fresh by adding your choice of vegetables and fruit into separate compartments. Close the lid and pack the lunch container into a lunch bag with an ice pack.