When you want to add more veggies into your kids’ lunchboxes but don’t want it to “look” like veggies, these mini carrot and zucchini bites add nutrition and taste delicious!
Sometimes, when I plan meals for the week, I find myself wanting to put to use some of the “leftover veggies, ” but I don’t always have enough for a full meal.
Related: Top 5 Lunchboxes We’ve Tested
For this recipe, I grated some leftover lonely veggies so that they didn’t go to waste. Because sometimes I have one lonely zucchini and then my mini quiche recipe comes to the rescue!
These turned out perfect for my family since they are a naturally gluten and grain-free recipe. I like that they are high in protein and add variety to our school and office lunches.
Quiches come together quickly in one bowl, and the oven does the rest. You can eat these at any meal, or pack them in a lunchbox for school or the office. If you don’t mind quiches at room temperature, they pack great inside a lunchbox. Otherwise, heat them up and put them inside your favorite thermos.
Mini quiches are a perfect school lunch and if you want more healthy ideas like this one, check out the 101 Packed Lunches eBook.
You’ll find recipes for bento boxes, power bowls, wraps, hot lunches, and everything you need to make lunch even better.
101 Packed Lunches eBook
All my best kid-friendly lunches from over a decade of creating meal plans. Add some variety to your child’s lunchbox with these epic lunches, plus receive my Pack Meals Like a Pro ebook, free with purchase!
Carrot & Zucchini Mini Quiches
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 – 28 minutes
- Total Time: 25 – 32 minutes
- Yield: 24 mini quiches
- Category: lunch
- Method: Oven
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil* (or any oil)
- ¾ cup packed grated green zucchini
- ¾ cup packed grated carrots
- 2 green shallots (onions), green ends trimmed off, white finely chopped (optional)
- 4 large eggs, whisked
- ⅓ cup grated Monterrey Jack cheese*
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C) and grease a mini cupcake pan.
- In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add the zucchini, carrots, and shallots, and cook, stirring, for 5-7 minutes until the veggies begin to soften. Remove from heat and set aside to cool down to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, combine veggies, eggs, grated cheese, and salt. Spoon mixture into mini muffin pan.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes. Allow mini quiches to cool in the pan before carefully removing with a small knife or spatula.
Best Grain-Free Meals on the PlanetBuy Now →
I used sharp white cheddar to make this recipe nearly lactose free for my youngest. As always, check the labels to make sure the recipe fits your family’s dietary needs.
- Serving Size: 4 bites
- Calories: 94
- Sugar: 1g
- Sodium: 196.6mg
- Fat: 6.8g
- Saturated Fat: 3.5g
- Carbohydrates: 2.1g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Protein: 5.8g
- Cholesterol: 130.2mg
My kiddo is on keto diet and after sending this recipe to his dietitian she tailored it just for him. It was an instant hit, with the whole family picky toddler included. Thank you for all your amazing blog!! Parents you need to try this one! And it was super easy to put together. You won’t be disappointed.
Thank you, Sana, for sharing!