It’s probably safe to say that broccoli isn’t a kid favorite food…but tater tots are! This simple recipe is sure to become a regular in your meal rotation.
When it comes to getting kids to eat outside their comfort zone, putting the food in a fun familiar form can be the ticket to success. These beloved tater tots can mean the difference between a child getting vegetables that day, and them skipping yet another plate of the “green stuff”.
If you are struggling to find recipes for picky eaters, I have so many tasty (and healthy!) picky-eater approved recipes to share with you. And strategies I learned from going to therapy with one of my kids to work on picky eating – yes, it was that extreme at my house.
If you are struggling with picky eating at your house – check out the FREE 6-Video Mini Course from MOMables to help improve mealtimes. Mealtime can be fun again and there is an end to the dinner table battles over unfinished meals.
Homemade Veggie Tots
These Broccoli Tater Tots are a great way to serve up vegetables to kids and picky eaters. Russet potatoes, parmesan cheese and a small amount of Italian seasoning create familiar flavors in a bite size tot. Much less intimidating than an entire broccoli floret!
As always, these are not only a great meal for your family, but equally as good in the lunch box. You can make the mixture ahead of time and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Freeze individual tots prior to baking for up to a month. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Check out how easy they are to make in this quick video:
Whether you are packing these broccoli tots as a school lunch or serving them as a side with dinner, I hope your family loves them as much as mine does!
Broccoli Tater Tots
It’s probably safe to say that broccoli isn’t a kid favorite food…but tater tots are! This simple Broccoli Tater Tots recipe is sure to be a winner.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 60 tots 1x
- Category: Lunches
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cups chopped raw broccoli
- 2 cups parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 425F, place oven rack in the middle of the oven, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Boil, steam, or microwave the potatoes to the point where a fork punctures through but they are too tough to cook -about 10 minutes in boiling water, 5-6 in the microwave.
- Drain the potatoes and set them aside.
- In a food processor, pulse the broccoli florets until it resembles rice. Add the semi-cooked potatoes, 1 ½ cups of the parmesan cheese, and seasoning, pulse to combine, and break up the potatoes.
- With a spatula, fold the ingredients together to combine, making sure no large pieces of potatoes were left behind.
- With your hands, begin forming small balls -smaller than meatballs, larger than traditional tater tots.
- Roll each ball in parmesan cheese and place on the lined baking sheet. Repeat the process with the remaining mixture.
- Bake for 12 minutes, or until they are golden brown. Remove from heat and serve.
- Do not use wax paper. The cheese will melt onto the wax and the recipe will not turn out.
- Pack at room temperature in a lunchbox.
- Freeze unbaked leftovers for up to 2 months.
- Serving Size: 9 broccoli tots
- Calories: 127
- Sugar: 1.2g
- Sodium: 355.2mg
- Fat: 5.6g
- Saturated Fat: 3.5g
- Carbohydrates: 10.6g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Protein: 9.1g
- Cholesterol: 14.4mg
Keywords: broccoli tots, easy healthy lunch