It’s probably safe to say that broccoli isn’t a kid favorite food…but tater tots are! This simple recipe is sure to become a regular in your meal rotation.
When it comes to getting kids to eat outside their comfort zone, putting the food in a fun familiar form can be the ticket to success. These beloved tater tots can mean the difference between a child getting vegetables that day, and them skipping yet another plate of the “green stuff”.
If you are struggling to find recipes for picky eaters, I have so many tasty (and healthy!) picky-eater approved recipes to share with you. And strategies I learned from going to therapy with one of my kids to work on picky eating – yes, it was that extreme at my house.
If you are struggling with picky eating at your house – check out the FREE 6-Video Mini Course from MOMables to help improve mealtimes. Mealtime can be fun again and there is an end to the dinner table battles over unfinished meals.
Homemade Veggie Tots
These Broccoli Tater Tots are a great way to serve up vegetables to kids and picky eaters. Russet potatoes, parmesan cheese and a small amount of Italian seasoning create familiar flavors in a bite size tot. Much less intimidating than an entire broccoli floret!
As always, these are not only a great meal for your family, but equally as good in the lunch box. You can make the mixture ahead of time and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Freeze individual tots prior to baking for up to a month. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Check out how easy they are to make in this quick video:
Whether you are packing these broccoli tots as a school lunch or serving them as a side with dinner, I hope your family loves them as much as mine does!
Broccoli Tater Tots
It’s probably safe to say that broccoli isn’t a kid favorite food…but tater tots are! This simple Broccoli Tater Tots recipe is sure to be a winner.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 60 1x
- Category: Lunches
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 2 cups cubed russet potatoes
- 1 ½ cups finely grated raw broccoli
- 2 cups shredded parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 425F, place oven rack in the middle of the oven and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Peel, cube into small dice sized pieces and measure 2 cups of russet potatoes (about 2-3 potatoes).
- Steam or microwave the potatoes to the point where a fork is easily inserted but it’s too tough to eat (about 10 minutes boiling, 6-7 in the microwave).
- Once they are cooked drain them and set aside to cool down.
- In the bowl of your food processor, pulse about 2 cups of chopped broccoli florets (depending on how you cut it, it should yield about 1 ½ cups chopped) until it resembles coarse rice.
- Measure 1 ½ cups of finely chopped broccoli and transfer it into a large bowl.
- Next, pulse the semi-cooked potatoes and 1 ½ cups of the Parmesan cheese; pulse just enough to break up the potatoes and combine them with the Parmesan cheese.
- Transfer the mixture into the bowl with the broccoli.
- Add seasoning into the large bowl and fold all ingredients with a large spatula to combine.
- Place remaining Parmesan cheese into a small bowl.
- Begin to form tater tots into small balls with a 1 tablespoon size cookie scoop or your hands and a spoon.
- Once formed, roll each tot on more Parmesan cheese – just enough to coat it.
- Place each tater tot on the baking sheet, about ½-inch to 1-inch apart. Bake for 12 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and serve.
Please do not use wax paper. The cheese will melt onto the wax and the recipe will not turn out.You can make the mixture ahead of time and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can freeze individual tots prior to baking for up to a month. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Serving Size: 6 broccoli tots
- Calories: 16
- Sugar: 0.1g
- Sodium: 57.5mg
- Fat: 0.7g
- Saturated Fat: 0.5g
- Carbohydrates: 1.1g
- Fiber: 0.1g
- Protein: 1.2g
- Cholesterol: 1.9mg
Keywords: broccoli tots, easy healthy lunch