Switch up the usual lunch for this chicken & apple grilled cheese sandwich. The tart apple flavor is perfect with melted cheese and toasted bread.
It’s a combination of sweet and savory flavors your kids will ask you to make on repeat.
Easy Chicken Apple Grilled Sandwich
This chicken apple grilled cheese is a delicious idea you can make with leftover chicken for an incredible lunch. The tart apple flavor is perfect with melted cheese and toasted bread.
It’s also pretty high in protein, about 30 grams, and will keep anyone satiated all afternoon. Don’t have leftover chicken? Use sliced deli chicken or turkey, I’ve tried both, and the results are just as tasty.
Learn everything you need to know about packing a grilled sandwich for lunch here.
What is in a Chicken Apple Grilled Sandwich
The name pretty much sums up what goes into this grilled cheese, but here is the list of ingredients with a few tips to make lunch amazing:
- Bread: use regular sandwich bread or make it artisan with sourdough or multi-grain.
- Cooked chicken: ANY grilled or baked chicken will work! You could even use sliced deli chicken.
- Cheese: Gouda, Cheddar, and Provolone all taste great with apples.
- Apple: make this with any fresh apples you have available.
- Butter: for grilling
- Snacks: this lunch is packed with sliced bananas, almonds, and grapes.
Just watch the magic happen in this quick video:
Making different grilled cheese ideas is a great way to use up leftovers from dinner and keep your kids excited about what’s for lunch.
And I have more kid-favorite lunch ideas to keep the ball rolling:
101 Packed Lunches eBook
All my best kid-friendly lunches from over a decade of creating meal plans. Add some variety to your child’s lunchbox with these epic lunches, plus receive my Pack Meals Like a Pro ebook, free with purchase!
How to Pack this Chicken Apple Grilled Sandwich for Lunch
Let me show you how to pack a grilled cheese into a lunchbox so the bread stays toasty and everything keeps fresh!
Thinly slice the apple, wash the grapes, and if needed, slice the chicken so it will fit onto the sandwich.
- Make the sandwich
Top one slice of bread with the apple and chicken. Assemble and grill the sandwich on your stovetop
- Don’t skip this step
Allow the sandwich to cool down to room temperature before cutting it in half.
- Prepare for take-off
Pack the grilled cheese into a lunch container, keeping it separate from the fruit and almonds. Close the lid and add it to a lunch bag with an ice pack.
Looking for a lunch container with compartments? You’ll find the one I used for this recipe cheese and other favorite options here.Print
Easy Chicken Apple Grilled Sandwich
Try this chicken apple-grilled sandwich for an epic lunch! The crispy apple and melted cheese flavors taste incredible between toasted bread.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 1
- Category: Lunch
- Method: Stove-top
- Cuisine: American
- 2 slices bread
- ½ apple, thinly sliced
- 3–ounces cooked chicken
- 1 slice of cheese, any kind
- Butter, for grilling
- 1 cup grapes
- ¼ cup almonds
- Sliced banana, optional
- Top one slice of bread with the apple, chicken, and cheese. Assemble the sandwich and butter both sides.
- In a medium non-stick pan over medium-high heat, grill the sandwich for 2 to 3 minutes, until the bottom is golden brown. Flip and continue to grill until the cheese is melted.
- Remove from heat and allow the sandwich to cool down to room temperature before slicing it in half and packing it inside a lunch container.
- To prevent the bread from getting soggy, add the grapes, almonds, and banana into separate compartments. Seal the container and pack it into a lunch bag with an ice pack.
- Serving Size: 1 sandwich
- Calories: 464
- Sugar: 12.9 g
- Sodium: 550 mg
- Fat: 18.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 7 g
- Trans Fat: 0.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 42.1 g
- Fiber: 3.8 g
- Protein: 31 g
- Cholesterol: 92.7 mg
Leave a Reply