Grilled cheese sandwiches take regular sandwiches to a whole new level, and today I’m showing you how to pack them into lunches!
Grab your bread, cheese, and butter because you’re going to get your grilled cheese fix today! We’re talking techniques to a perfect sandwich and some incredible recipes to get you inspired. Are you ready for this? Good, let’s go!
How to Pack Grilled Cheese in a Lunchbox
Perfectly crispy, toasted bread with gooey cheese, I would hate for it to get…. ruined.
Yes, it’s true, there is a wrong way to pack grilled sandwiches. Instead of toasted bread, it’s soggy and sad, but today I’m making sure that doesn’t happen, so your kids can enjoy crispy, cheesy goodness bite after bite.
Of course, we can’t talk grilled cheese without including directions on how to craft the perfect grilled sandwich so I’m sharing that as well.
1. Start by assembling your sandwich of choice. Could be regular ham & cheese, turkey & avocado melt, or a PB & J for you adventurous type.
2. Next, lightly butter both sides of the sandwich.
3. In a non-stick pan over medium heat, place the sandwich and cook until the bottom is golden brown, about 3 minutes.
4. Flip it and cook for another 3 minutes until the cheese is melted and the bread perfectly toasted.
5. Remove the sandwich from the pan and allow it to cool down to room temperature. Don’t skip the cooling time!
6. Slice the sandwich in half and pack it into a lunch container.
I’m so serious about this that I even created a video which demonstrates this process start to finish, click below to check it out:
Kid-friendly and delicious lunch ideas are what we’re all about here and we’ve got more where this came from in our family meal plans! Packing lunches and family dinners don’t get easier than our weekly menus with real-food recipes, shopping lists, and prep guide, so your family can enjoy meal after meal, without breaking a sweat.
Best Soups to Serve & Pack with Sandwiches
Soup is always a good idea for a thermos lunch, but when it comes to a soup and sandwich lunch, creamy, simple recipes are best! Not that we don’t love ideas like these 5 hearty thermos soup recipes, but we don’t want to mask the flavors of the grilled cheese.
Of course, you’ll need a good thermos container to keep the soup hot until lunch. You can check out a few of our best kid-friendly thermos containers to get the job done plus instructions on how to keep hot foods piping until lunch.
Grilled Cheese Recipe Inspiration
When it comes to grilled sandwiches, you are in the right place. Something about melted cheese between 2 slices of toasted, buttery bread gets us excited to try all sorts of ideas.
- Taco Grilled Cheese
- Rosemary Avocado Melts
- Tuna Melt
- Apple Cheddar Grilled Cheese
- Spinach & Artichoke Sandwich
- Philly Grilled Cheese
- Grilled Cheese Dippers
Other Grilled Cheese Topping Ideas
But let’s not stop, there are so many more ideas to try in a grilled cheese. Just take the basic recipe below and cook your way through the following:
- Cooked bacon strips and sliced avocado
- Marinara sauce, mozzarella cheese, and sliced pepperoni
- Classic Rueben sandwich
- Sliced turkey, tomato, and avocado
- Sliced pears and Brie cheese
The sky’s the limit but first, let’s start with this Grilled Chicken & Cheese Sandwich.Print