Whether you want to try egg salad for the first time or need a quick lunch idea, this Classic Egg Salad Sandwich has you covered.
It’s the definition of a simple and satisfying meal that tastes great and is easy to pack in a lunchbox!
Everyone’s Favorite Egg Salad Sandwich
The classic egg salad sandwich is making a comeback, and it’s not hard to see why. The combination of chopped hard-boiled eggs in a creamy dressing is hard to beat and keeps you full all afternoon.
My secret to keeping the bread from getting soggy is to assemble the sandwich with fresh lettuce. It acts like a “barrier” between the egg salad and bread while adding crisp texture.
What is in the Classic Egg Salad Sandwich
Here’s everything you need to make a classic egg salad sandwich that tastes like grandma’s recipe:
- Egg Salad: make this sammich’ with mayo-free egg salad or your favorite option from the grocery store.
- Bread: white, whole-wheat, multi-grain, or croissants! Use what you love!
- Lettuce: adds a crispy fresh texture.
My egg salad recipe is a superb source of lean protein and can be prepped beforehand to make this recipe and other egg salad lunch ideas throughout the week.
101 Packed Lunches eBook
All my best kid-friendly lunches from over a decade of creating meal plans. Add some variety to your child’s lunchbox with these epic lunches, plus receive my Pack Meals Like a Pro ebook, free with purchase!
How to Pack the Classic Egg Salad Sandwich for Lunch
Time to make the classic egg salad sandwich and fill up the lunchbox!
Make the egg salad, wash and dry the lettuce, and prep any veggies.
- Assemble the sandwich
Using lettuce leaves as “barriers” between the egg salad and the bread, assemble the sandwich. Cut in half and pack it into a lunch container.
- Keep this lunch fresh
Add the veggies to the lunch box, keeping them separate from the bread, so the sandwich stays intact. Cover with a lid and pack the container into a lunch bag with an ice pack.
Once you make eggssalad, you’ll have enough to pack a couple of lunches with egg salad. Watch this video to see how you can use it to make this sandwich!
Egg Salad Sandwich for School
Egg salad for 1:
- 2 hard boiled eggs, finely chopped
- ½ tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 ½ tablespoons plain Greek yogurt, or mayo
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- pinch salt & pepper
For the sandwich:
- 2 slices sandwich bread
- 2 green lettuce leaves
- ¾ cup Mayo-Free Egg Salad
- In a medium bowl, combine the mustard, plain Greek yogurt (or mayo), paprika, salt and pepper. Add the chopped eggs to the mixutre and mix to combine.
- Place the sandwich bread on a flat surface, top with lettuce leaves and egg salad in the middle. Slice in half and place inside a lunch or sandwich container.
- Pack fresh veggies and fruit and your favorite lunch sides inside a bento box or separate compartments of the lunchbox. Add an ice pack inside the lunch bag to help maintain a cool temperature.