August 23, 2022
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Let me show you how to roll up these crunchy ham & cheese pinwheels for a simple and kid-favorite lunch.
It’s a quick idea you can make ahead with everyday ingredients, and I’ll share tips on how to pack it with additional snacks, so everything keeps fresh for hours.
Ham & Veggie Pinwheels
These ham pinwheels are just as tasty as the classic, with a little crunch in every bite thanks to fresh lettuce.
The best part? Pinwheels taste better when they’re made the night before, it gives the tortilla time to absorb the flavors of hummus, ham, and cheese. Plus, in the morning, lunch is already packed, so you can get out the door faster.
To balance this meal out, I like to include more veggies, fruit, and a yogurt parfait- but these could be swapped out for your child’s favorite options.
What’s in Ham & Cheese Pinwheels
Here’s what you’ll need to make this easy lunch happen:
- Tortilla: use large pliable wraps or gluten-free tortillas.
- Condiment of choice: mayonnaise or hummus.
- Deli ham: this could also be made with turkey.
- Cheese: any sliced/shredded cheese will work.
- Lettuce: Romaine, Iceberg, and spinach work great!
- Snacks: these could be veggies, fruit, and yogurt, or whatever you have available.
I’m all about packing great-tasting lunches with simple ingredients! While I have plenty on this site, you’ll find a TON of great ideas here:
101 Packed Lunches eBook
All my best kid-friendly lunches from over a decade of creating meal plans. Add some variety to your child’s lunchbox with these epic lunches, plus receive my Pack Meals Like a Pro ebook, free with purchase!
How to Pack Ham & Cheese Pinwheels for Lunch
Now, let me show you how to roll up these pinwheels and pack them in the lunchbox!
- Layer it on
Spread hummus or mayo onto the tortilla. The spread acts like “glue” that holds all the ingredients together. Add the rest of the ingredients, and starting from one end, roll up the tortilla tightly.
- Let it rest
If you are making this the night before, leave the roll uncut, wrap it with plastic wrap, and refrigerate. In the morning, remove the plastic wrap and cut the roll into 1-inch pinwheels.
- Pack it up
To keep the pinwheels fresh, pack them in a compartmentalized lunch container, separately from any wet ingredients like veggies and fruit. The granola will also need to be stored in its own compartment or mini sauce cup.
- Prepare for take-off!
Add the rest of the snacks to the empty compartments and close the container. Pack it into a lunch bag with an ice pack.
In case you wanted to pack this lunch with the parfait pictured above, check out this post on how to pack yogurt for lunch, so it stays chilled.
Crunchy Ham & Cheese Pinwheels
- 1 tablespoon hummus or mayonnaise
- 1 large flour tortilla
- 2- ounces deli ham
- 1 slice of Swiss or Provolone halved
- 2 large lettuce leaves
- Spread the hummus or mayonnaise over the tortilla. Top with ham, cheese, and lettuce.
- Starting at one end, tightly roll the tortilla into a roll. Wrap the entire roll with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. If making this the morning of, skip this step and proceed with the recipe.
- When you’re ready to pack, remove the plastic wrap and cut the roll into 1-inch pinwheels.
- Add the pinwheels to a compartmentalized lunch container, keeping them separate from the veggies and fruit.
- Close the container and pack it into a lunch bag with an ice pack.
Leave a Reply