Below, you’ll learn how to pack a healthy meal with leftover chicken and keep it fresh until lunchtime.
Copycat Starbucks Chicken & Hummus Bistro Box
When buying bistro boxes, we’re paying for convenience, but I’d much rather plan ahead and make bistro boxes at home. Leftovers and basic ingredients make this Chicken & Hummus Bistro Box an easy lunch way more budget-friendly!
Do you have chicken leftovers and hummus? Then this bistro box is almost done! Add some veggies, fruit, and bread; and you’ll wonder why you didn’t try this epic lunchbox idea before. Never too late; that’s what I’m here for!
Have you been packing the same lunches day after day? You’re not alone! If you need more inspiration coming up with healthy lunches for you and the kids throughout the week, try 101 Packed Lunches for endless epic lunches you can pack any day of the week!
What is in Chicken and Hummus Bento Box
This bistro box is one teens will want to eat on repeat. The best part: they can help to assemble this lunch with their favorite ingredients!
This one includes:
- Cooked chicken breasts: leftover chicken is a perfect protein for a filling bistro box. Chicken tights are also great.
- Hummus: your favorite store-bought or homemade hummus. It adds flavor, nutrition, and kids will want to dip veggies in!
- Pita: or anything for dipping, like whole-grain crackers or pretzel chips.
- Veggies: in this bento box, I added cucumber slices and cherry tomatoes. Any veggie or fruit is perfect!
- Crumbled feta cheese: optional for more taste and nutrition.
How to Pack Chicken and Hummus Bistro Box for Lunch
Enjoying a fresh and appealing chicken and hummus bistro box at lunchtime is possible if you pack it correctly.
Here is how I packed this lunch:
- Slice the chicken
Slice the cooked chicken breast and place them inside the main compartment of the lunch container.
- Add veggies
Place the cucumber slices and the cherry tomatoes in another compartment or with the sliced chicken.
- Add pita
Store the pita wedges in another compartment to keep them fresh until lunch time.
- Hummus time!
Fill a small lidded container with hummus or add a single-serve hummus to the lunch.
- Make it cheesy
If your kids enjoy crumbled feta, pack it in a small lidded container, sprinkled over the hummus, or in another compartment.
Refrigerate this lunch until placed inside an insulated lunch bag and is sent to school. Ice packs are optional.
How easy is it to pull together this bistro box and others? Just watch!
Tips for a Perfect and Healthy Bistro Box Lunch
This bistro box is perfect for using leftovers from dinner, like chicken breast or tights. No pita? Any bread or cracker you can dip in hummus do the trick!
Double or triple the pitas and chicken. Add a few more veggies and a little more hummus. Go ahead and include some fruit as well for a sweet treat. Assemble all once and eat twice or more! Kids, teens, and adults can enjoy this epic lunch as well!
Make it gluten-free
For a gluten-free chicken and hummus bistro box, simply swap the pita bread for gluten-free crackers or these easy gluten-free wraps. Bell pepper strips, celery or carrot sticks are also a healthy gluten-free swap for dipping into hummus!
Kick up the veggie factor
There’s no such thing as too many veggies! This chicken and hummus bento box is perfect for adding more and different vegetables that teens enjoy eating. Grape tomatoes, kohlrabi, celery, bell pepper, or beet! My teens love the hummus & carrots snack bento option!
Add a sweet treat
Keep it healthy and appealing by adding something sweet, like banana or apple slices, berries, or a few of these Chocolate No-Bake Energy Bites.
Keep pitas fresh
The pitas will last longer in the fridge in case you can’t use them all right away. If they feel a little stiff, you can microwave them for 30 seconds with a mug of water or moist paper towel to soften.
Chicken and Hummus Bistro Box
- 3 ounces cooked chicken breast, sliced
- 2 tablespoons hummus, your favorite
- 1 pita, sliced in wedges
- ½ cup cucumber slices
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon feta cheese cumbles, optional
- Slice the cooked chicken breast and place them insde the main compartment of the lunch container.
- Place the cucumber slices and the cherry tomatoes in another ompartment or with the sliced chicken.
- Store the pita wedges in another compartment to keep them fresh until lunch time.
- Fill a small lidded container with hummus or add a single-serve hummus to the lunch.
- If you enjoy crumbled feta, pack it in a small lidded container, sprinkled over the hummus, or in another compartment.
- Refrigerate this lunch until placed inside an insulated lunch bag and is sent to school. Ice packs are optional.