January 6, 2023
These easy-to-make gluten-free spinach tortillas are pliable and are the perfect vessel to make your lunch wraps.
You’ll learn how to make the dough with the help of the blender, save it for later, and make your wraps as needed for lunch or even for taco night.
Here’s everything you need to make homemade spinach wraps:
- Fresh spinach: gets cooked down and gives these tortillas bright green color.
- Water: to steam the spinach.
- Gluten-free flour: must be a 1:1 all-purpose gluten-free flour.
- Baking powder: just a little to help the tortillas rise.
- Oil: makes them pliable and soft.
- Salt: enhances the other ingredient flavors.
Grab the ingredient measurements and full directions in the printable recipe card below.
How to Make Gluten-Free Spinach Wraps
You’re about to be surprised at how easy it is to make spinach wraps from scratch! Here’s what to do:
- Prepare the spinach
Cook the spinach down in boiling water. Reserve a small amount of water, drain the spinach and transfer it to a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Mix the dough
Mix flour, baking powder, oil, and salt in a large bowl. Add the spinach puree and stir to combine until a dough forms.
- Roll it out
Line a flat surface with a silicone mat or parchment paper and place the dough on top. Divide it into 6 pieces and roll each section into a ball.
- Make the tortillas
On a lightly floured surface, use a rolling pin to roll out each ball into an 8 to 10-inch tortilla.
In a large non-stick pan, cook each tortilla over medium heat until it begins to bubble. Flip and cook the other side for 30 seconds, remove from heat and repeat with remaining tortillas.
Watch how they’re made in this quick recipe video.
How to Store Gluten-Free Spinach Wraps
You can store the unused dough in a zip bag and refrigerate it for up to a week and make fresh wraps as needed. You can also refrigerate leftover wraps flat in a large zip bag in the refrigerator for up to a week and heat them up before using them in a pan or for 10-seconds in the microwave.
Wraps with Gluten-Free Spinach Tortillas
Now that you know how to make homemade spinach tortillas let’s put them to use! This Turkey Club Wrap would be a perfect start; it’s loaded with bacon, hard-boiled eggs, turkey, and a drizzle of ranch.
You could also make a homemade chicken salad or my mayo-free egg salad and tuck it into this wrap with shredded lettuce. No matter how you decide to fill these up, you’re in store for a delicious gluten-free lunch!
Gluten-Free Spinach Tortillas
- 3 cups packed spinach, cleaned and stems removed
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour, I use King Arthur GF Flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 4 tablespoons oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- In a large skillet, cook the spinach and water over medium heat until soft.
- Drain the excess water from the spinach, and set it aside for use in the dough.
- Add the flour, baking powder, oil, and salt. Mix until crumbly.
- Add the reserved water from cooking the spinach, slowly as needed, until a smooth dough is formed.
- Divide the dough into equal parts, then roll into thin circles (dust with flour, as needed). Try to achieve about a 6-inch tortilla.
- Heat in a pan, one at a time, on the stove on medium heat. Toast on each side until it starts to bubble or golden dots appear.
- Serve with your favorite fillings!