August 26, 2022
We’ve made turkey and cheese sushi on a stick, but now it’s time to try it with peanut butter and chocolate- a dreamy combination that tastes like Reese’s cups.
Let me show you how to roll up this peanut butter Nutella sandwich sushi for a fun lunch idea your kids will love!
Peanut Butter & Nutella Sandwich Roll-Ups
If peanut butter and Nutella sandwiches weren’t delicious enough already, try cutting them into “sushi rolls” and skewering them on a stick. It’s a couple of extra steps that make this yummy combo taste even better- according to the kids.
Good thing, it’s also an easy lunch idea you can quickly assemble and pack with all your favorite snacks.
Appetizer picks, or coffee stirrers make great skewers, but if you have none on hand, just pack the sushi rolls into a small container, so they hold together while in the lunch bag.
Loving how simple and delicious this lunch idea is turning out? Grab more lunch recipes just like it here:
101 Packed Lunches eBook
All my best kid-friendly lunches from over a decade of creating meal plans. Add some variety to your child’s lunchbox with these epic lunches, plus receive my Pack Meals Like a Pro ebook, free with purchase!
What’s in This Lunchbox?
Let’s take a look in the pantry and see if you have the following ingredients for chocolate and peanut butter sandwich idea.
- Sandwich bread: regular white or whole wheat bread.
- Peanut butter: creamy works best, and you can always opt for one of these nut-free peanut butter alternatives.
- Chocolate spread: use regular Nutella or my Homemade Sunflower Nutella for a nut-free alternative.
- Snacks: this lunch is packed with grape tomatoes, sliced cucumber, and pretzels.
A note on the snacks: you can exchange the veggies and pretzels with high-protein options like rolled deli turkey, hard-boiled eggs, or an easy parfait. The more protein in the lunch, the more satiating it will be.
How to Pack Peanut Butter & Nutella Sushi for Lunch
- Remove the crust
Use a sharp knife to remove the bread crust and spread the peanut butter onto one slice and Nutella on the other. Roll the slices of bread and cut them into rounds.
Alternate threading 1 round of peanut butter and 1 round of Nutella onto the appetizer or sandwich picks. Grab a compartmentalized lunch container and place the skewers in their own compartment.
- Add more snacks
To keep the sushi and dry snacks fresh, the sliced veggies (or any wet ingredients) should be packed into a separate compartment.
- Prepare for shipment
Close the lunch container and pack it into a lunch bag with an ice pack.
Watch how it’s done below!
Peanut Butter Nutella Sandwich Sushi
- 2 slices of white or whole wheat sandwich bread
- 1 ½ tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 ½ tablespoons Nutella
- ½ cucumber, sliced
- Handful cherry tomatoes
- Remove the crust from the bread and spread the peanut butter onto one slice and Nutella on the other.
- Starting at one end, roll each slice of bread into a small roll and cut it into 3 to 4 rounds.
- Alternate threading a Nutella roll and peanut butter roll onto each skewer, about 4 rolls per skewer.
- Pack the kabobs into a compartmentalized lunch container, adding the veggies and pretzels into separate compartments.
- Close the lunch container and pack it into a lunch bag with an ice pack.