August 3, 2023
Check out how easy it is to prepare these pinwheels and all the tips to pack them for school without any mess!
Turkey Pinwheels with Pesto and Cream Cheese
When you need an easy and healthy lunch you can pack in 5 minutes, these Turkey Pesto Pinwheels are the thing to make! A pinwheel is a tightly rolled wrap that, instead of being sliced in half, it’s sliced into ½ to 1-inch thick slices.
They are great for younger kids because their bite-sized appeal feels like snacking. For older kids, you can also keep this as a classic wrap, simply sliced in half.
Turkey pairs great with pesto, while the cream cheese turns the pesto into a creamy spread milder in flavor, which is great for younger kids. If you want to add more nutrition or veggies, layer some spinach or lettuce leaves or pack more fruits and veggies on the side.
What is in Turkey Pesto Pinwheels
With simple ingredients you probably already have in the fridge, you can pack a filling, healthy, and kid-friendly lunch in no time.
These pinwheels include:
- Tortilla:regular, gluten-free, or any other large tortilla.
- Cream cheese: whipped cream cheese has the perfect texture for this pesto spread. If using regular cream cheese, allow it to warm up to room temperature so it’s easier to combine with the pesto.
- Pesto: homemade pesto or store-bought. These pinwheels are also a great way to use up leftover pesto from dinner.
- Deli turkey: any kind of deli turkey will add protein to this tasty lunch.
- Fruits and veggies: your kid’s favorites.
You’ll find the measurements in the recipe card below.
How to pack Turkey Pesto Pinwheels for lunch
Keeping these Turkey Pesto Pinwheels fresh and neat until lunchtime is possible if you follow this simple step-by-step.
Here is how I packed this lunch:
- Prep the pesto spread
In a small bowl, combine room-temperature cream cheese or whipped cream cheese with the pesto.
- Add the filling
Spread the creamy pesto over the tortilla and place the sliced turkey on top. If you want to add lettuce or spinach, place it on top of the creamy pesto spread under the turkey slices.
- Wrap it!
Fold the sides in and roll the tortilla tightly into a wrap before cutting it in half. Slice each half into ½ to 1-inch-thick pinwheel rounds.
- Pack it for lunch
Place the pinwheel slices in a lunch container and pack it with fruit and veggies.
Refrigerate until ready to place inside a lunch bag, along with an ice pack if necessary.
Tips for packing pinwheels for lunch
With these tasty turkey pesto pinwheels, you can build healthy school lunches every time. Check these tips for a neat and balanced lunchbox:
Make it greener
Make this lunch more nutritious and filling by layering some spinach or lettuce leaves on top of the creamy pesto spread but under the turkey slices. Swapping classic tortillas for these Spinach Tortillas is another terrific way to kick up the green factor!
Add more nutrition
If your kid it´s not on the green side, you can still add more nutrition! Pack these turkey pesto pinwheels along with cherry tomatoes, carrots, bell pepper strips, berries, grapes, orange slices, tangerine segments, etc.
Separate dry from wet
Whether you send these pinwheels with veggies, fruits, or healthy snacks, pack them in one separate compartment of the lunchbox so everything will stay fresh and crunchy for hours.
Use a firm container
Sturdy lunchboxes are the best choice for packing sandwiches, wraps, and pinwheels. The firm walls prevent them from turning an appealing meal into a flattened one. Check the best lunch containers for school in this post.
Turkey Pesto Pinwheels Lunch
- 1 large tortilla
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese*
- 1 ½ teaspoons pesto
- 2 ounces deli turkey
- In a small bowl, combine room temperature cream cheese or whipped cream cheese with the pesto.
- Spread the creamy pesto over the tortilla and place the sliced turkey on top. If you want to add lettuce or spinach place it on top of the creamy pesto spread under the turkey slices.
- Fold the sides in and roll the tortilla tightly into a wrap before cutting it in half. Slice each half into ½ to 1-inch-thick pinwheel rounds.
- Place the pinwheel slices in a lunch container and pack it with fruit and veggies.
- Refrigerate until ready to place inside a lunch bag, along with an ice pack if necessary.