What’s not to love about a turkey pita sandwich loaded with lean protein and fresh veggies? Add some hummus, and we’ve got an extra delicious lunch.
Keep reading, and I’ll show you how to pack everything so the pita bread stays fresh in the lunchbox.
Easy Turkey Pita
Pita rounds are an excellent lunchbox accessory because they can be used to make this turkey sandwich variation or sliced and served with hummus and other snacks in a Mediterranean Bento.
For this idea, we’re filling the pita full of fresh ingredients like deli meat, veggies, and cheese- it’s a super satiating idea for growing kids and easy to assemble with their favorite ingredients.
No matter how you pack it, having a compartmentalized lunch container like this one is perfect for keeping the pita bread fresh since it will be separated from wet ingredients (fruit, veggies, and sauces).
What is in this Lunchbox
Alright, here’s what you’ll need to pack these turkey pitas for lunch!
- Pita round: regular or whole wheat.
- Hummus: to spread into the pita. Mayonnaise also works.
- Turkey: use regular ole deli turkey or ham.
- Veggies: this pita is filled with lettuce, tomato, and cucumber.
- Snacks: olives, fruit, extra veggies- whatever is available in your snack drawer.
The right ingredients and ideas are all you need to make awesome lunches happen, and I’ve got all the ideas you need right below:
101 Packed Lunches eBook
All my best kid-friendly lunches from over a decade of creating meal plans. Add some variety to your child’s lunchbox with these epic lunches, plus receive my Pack Meals Like a Pro ebook, free with purchase!
How to Pack This Turkey Pita Sandwich for Lunch
Follow the steps below for the best way to assemble and pack this 5-minute lunch idea:
- Layer it like this
Open the pita and spread the hummus onto both sides. Place a layer of lettuce onto one side, followed by the turkey, veggies, cheese, and another layer of lettuce.
Tip: keeping lettuce, cheese, and turkey between the other veggies and bread will prevent it from soaking up excess moisture.
- Keep everything fresh
Place the pita into a compartmentalized lunch container and pack any wet ingredients like fruit and veggies into a separate compartment or container.
- Prepare for take-off
Close the lunchbox and pack it into a lunch bag with an ice pack.
Easy Turkey Pita Sandwich
- 1 pita round, halved
- 1 tablespoon hummus
- 4 large lettuce leaves
- 2 ounces deli turkey
- 2 slices tomato
- 3-4 slices of cucumber
- 1 slice cheese, halved
- Open the pita halves and spread the hummus into each half. Layer one side of each with a piece of lettuce and top with deli turkey, tomato, cucumber, cheese, and the remaining lettuce.
- Place the pita pockets into a compartmentalized lunch container and pack the additional snacks into separate compartments or cintainers.
- Close the lunch box and place it in a lunch bag with an ice pack.