September 13, 2022
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
I’ve got a lunch idea that will make everyone’s day: a grilled peanut butter and banana sandwich!
Creamy peanut butter and sweet banana taste incredible between two slices of toasty bread and today, I’ll show you how to pack it in a matter of minutes.
The Best PB & Banana Sandwich
Sometimes the greatest lunch ideas can be inspired by your kid’s favorite snack combos, and in this case, it’s peanut butter and banana. We’ve been pairing the two for years but only recently tried it in a grilled sandwich. The results were so delicious that I had to share them with you.
Now, if your child goes to a nut-free school they can still enjoy this sandwich made with any peanut butter alternative, but soy butter tastes the closest to peanut butter.
Creating delicious lunches with everyday ingredients is my jam, and I’ve compiled a TON of ideas into one source. You’ll find everything from sandwiches like this to bento boxes, pasta salads, and hot lunches, right here:
101 Packed Lunches eBook
All my best kid-friendly lunches from over a decade of creating meal plans. Add some variety to your child’s lunchbox with these epic lunches, plus receive my Pack Meals Like a Pro ebook, free with purchase!
What is in a Grilled Peanut Butter & Banana Sandwich
Here’s what you’ll need to make this masterpiece:
- Sandwich bread: use your favorite sliced bread.
- Peanut butter: crunchy, creamy- it’s your pick!
- Banana: you’ll need about half.
- Butter: to give the bread a toasty glow.
- Snacks: items like fruit, veggies, and snack bites.
Watch this grilled peanut butter goodness come together in this quick video!
Loving this idea? Once you’ve tried it, give this grilled PB & J a go- it’s a heavenly upgrade to everyone’s favorite sandwich.
How to Pack it for Lunch
Now, I’ll show you how to properly pack this grilled sandwich in the lunchbox with other snacks.
Assemble the sandwich and grill it until both sides of the bread are toasty and golden brown.
- Cool down
Remove the sandwich from heat and allow it to cool down to room temperature- this step will prevent steam from building up in the lunch box and making the bread soggy.
- Add the snacks
Place the sandwich in the lunch container and add any wet ingredients like fruit and veggies in separate compartments, so the bread doesn’t soak up their moisture.
- Pack it up
Close the lunch box and pack it into a lunch bag with an ice pack, if desired.
Having a compartmentalized lunch container makes packing ideas like this one so much easier, and you’ll find my favorite options here.
Grilled Peanut Butter & Banana Sandwich
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 slices of sandwich bread
- ½ banana sliced
- Butter for grilling
- ½ cup grape tomatoes
- 1 small cucumber sliced
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Spread the peanut butter onto 1 slice of bread, and top with the sliced banana, and the remaining slice of bread.
- Butter both sides of the sandwich and place it into the hot pan. Grill for 2 minutes before flipping and grilling for an additional 2 minutes or until the sandwich is golden brown on both sides.
- Remove the sandwich from heat and allow it to cool down to room temperature before packing it into a lunch container with veggies.
Leave a Reply