Need an easy way to sneak more veggies in your kid’s meals? Meatloaf is one of those recipes that is versatile and it’s really easy to make.
What’s better than Mom’s homemade meatloaf? LEFTOVERS of Mom’s homemade meatloaf!
Isn’t it funny how much better meatloaf tastes the next day? I take full advantage of this next day “meatloaf phenomenon”, and throw any leftovers I have into a lunchbox for the next day.
To make it fun for the kiddos, I decided to put little meatloaf bites on food picks. This makes these leftovers not only taste good, but are way FUN to eat! My girls are big dipping fans, so I included a small container of ketchup -you can send barbecue sauce too.
Pair your Meatloaf Swords with some fresh fruit, delicious veggies…and you have yourself a delicious lunch!
- 1 cup carrots, finely chopped
- ½ zucchini, chopped
- 1 handful spinach, finely chopped
- ½ onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1½ pounds ground turkey or beef
- 2 eggs
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a food processor or mini chopper, chop carrots, zucchini, spinach, onion, and garlic until they are finely chopped. Pour in a large bowl.
- To veggies, add breadcrumbs, Italian seasoning, pepper, ground beef or turkey and eggs.
- Using your hands, combine ingredients until they are all well mixed.
- Pack meat loaf ingredients in a 10-inch loaf pan.
- Combine tomato sauce and barbecue sauce and pour over meat mixture.
- Bake 1 hour - 1 hour 15 minutes. Oven times and temperatures will vary so check after 50 minutes.